Lance Berkman’s ankle injury is not believed to be serious, and the Yankees don’t expect Alex Rodriguez to go on the disabled list, but the team did not want to go any longer with Francisco Cervelli as their fifth infielder.
“There’s only so long you’re comfortable going with no backup infielder,” Brian Cashman said. “It’s nothing serious on either one of them.”
Berkman said he actually wanted to run today, but the training staff told him to wait. He showed up here uncertain that he would be put on the disabled list, but said he knew it was a possibility.
“I feel like, if there was a Doberman chasing me, I could probably do alright,” he said.
Rodriguez seemed to be moving through the clubhouse just fine. He was on his way to hit as the media left the locker room. Cashman said Rodriguez “should not” be a disabled list option.
“He’s doing better every day,” Cashman said. “He’ll probably be a DH first, but I don’t think it’s a long-term issue. You just want to make sure you take care of him the proper way.”
• Alfredo Aceves is here, but he’s still going to have at least one more rehab start, probably more. Cashman said Aceves is being evaluated “on an outing-by-outing basis” and there’s not set date for his return.
• There’s a chance Aceves will be stretched out, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll be considered as a rotation option. “Arm strength-wise, it would probably help to stretch him out,” Cashman said.
• Berkman’s DL stint should be retroactive to August 16. Berkman said he expects to be ready to play as soon as his 15 days are up. “Unless I fall down the stairs or something,” he said.
• Joe Girardi said he’s not sure if or when the Yankees might need to skip a Phil Hughes start to keep his innings from getting out of control, “because I can’t tell you what (number of innings) every start is going to be,” Girardi said.
• Off days on the schedule will be a chance to rest all five starters, not necessarily a chance to skip Hughes. “It will probably be an extra day for everyone,” Girardi said.
• Girardi said there “might be” warnings issue to each bench before today’s game, but he hasn’t been told one way or the other.
UPDATE, 12:28 p.m.: Tigers lineup
Austin Jackson CF
Will Rhymes 2B
Ryan Raburn RF
Miguel Cabrera 1B
Johnny Damon DH
Jhonny Peralta SS
Brandon Inge 3B
Alex Avila C
Don Kelly LF
Associated Press photo of Berkman