On the first day of September — the end of August got here quickly — Sam and I are going to be video chatting here on the LoHud Yankees Blog. The chat begins tomorrow at 1 p.m. Just guessing, but some of the topics we’ll probably discuss…
• The state of the Yankees rotation. We’ll be talking just a few hours before A.J. Burnett takes the mound. I’m sure his name will come up. We’ll probably talk about Phil Hughes’ innings limit, Ivan Nova’s hot start, CC Sabathia’s pursuit of 20 wins and Javier Vazquez’s chances of being a starter again this season.
• Robinson Cano as AL MVP. Without a doubt the best and most consistent hitter in the Yankees lineup this season, he might not be the MVP favorite, but he’s certainly in that conversation. Joe Girardi has already said Alex Rodriguez will return to the clean-up spot when he’s healthy. Is that the right choice?
• September call-ups. I’ll stick with my original guess of Lance Berkman, Jonathan Albaladejo, Juan Miranda and a catcher being added on the 1st. I’ll update that to guess that Chad Moeller will be the catcher. Mark Newman confirmed for me over the weekend that Jesus Montero is not Rule 5 eligible this winter. I don’t see any sense putting him on the 40-man just to play a bit part down the stretch.
• The pending free agency of The Captain and The Closer. One’s had a bad year, the other’s had a great one. Both have had Hall of Fame careers that you can bet will end in New York.
• Brian Cashman’s trade deadline vs. Brian Cashman’s winter. Granted, it was a bad market this winter, but the bulk of the Yankees offseason moves have no paid off. Cashman’s deadline dealing, on the other hand, has been a real help down the stretch.
• Postseason expectations. Who’s most dangerous for the Yankees? What’s the best-case scenario? Is this roster built for a long run through the playoffs?