The Yankees have started their internal conversations about how to set their postseason roster and rotation.
“You can daydream into what October looks like and how you want to line it up,” general manager Brian Cashman said. “We’ve had those internal discussions.”
The Yankees, as you might expect, aren’t ready to announce any sort of decisions, but there are some plans beginning to take shape. And the use of Royce Ring last night, and Javier Vazquez on Tuesday, was about more than trying to win baseball games.
“(Using Ring) was based on conversations we had earlier in the day,” Cashman said. “The day before, same thing with Javy Vazquez. We’re trying to get things lined up. See what we have. See what our choices are.”
Cashman did not go into detail, but he said there’s a definite plan for Phil Hughes in this last week and a half. He also said Ring could pitch his way onto the postseason roster.
“I think it would be unfair to make a decision today because there are a lot of things that could change,” Joe Girardi said. “We will continue to evaluate everybody. Obviously you have guys that you expect to be there, but we’ll continue to evaluate everyone in case we have to make changes.”
• Dave Robertson played catch this afternoon and said everything felt good. “Feeling a lot better today,” he said. “I think I’ll be ready to go tomorrow.”
• Although Andrew Brackman said he doesn’t expect to pitch during this late call-up, Cashman said he’s specifically told Girardi to use Brackman whenever he wants. “I think you’ll see Brackman before it’s all said and done,” Cashman said.
• Girardi on his use of Chad Gaudin last night: “That was the guy we were going to in that situation. A lot of the other guys that we could have gone to were not experienced.” Joba Chamberlain, Dave Robertson and Boone Logan were not available, and Girardi said he was saving Kerry Wood for the eighth inning.
• Cashman made a point of mentioning Romulo Sanchez’s name. He seemed to indicate that we’ll see Sanchez pitch before we see Brackman.
• There was apparently some talk that Damaso Marte might not be finished for the season afterall. Girardi squashed that rumor. “I don’t think we’re getting him back,” Girardi said.
• The Yankees still have no discussed when they’ll do a locker room celebration: After they clinch the division or clinch a playoff berth.
• Jesus Montero and Dellin Betances joined the Yankees today but will not be added to the active roster. They’re both just here to workout with the team and get a feel for the big leagues. And they are apparently here to make everyone else look small. I’d never seen Betances in person. He’s a tall, tall kid.
Associated Press photo of Hughes, headshot of Robertson