Joe Girardi will be scoreboard watching this afternoon. On the big scoreboard in left field, the first game listed is TAM vs. KC. That game means just as much as this one, and Girardi will be paying attention.
“If Tampa is blowing a team out, then you might think about (resting) guys who played a lot yesterday,” he said.
If that Tampa Bay score goes the other way, the Yankees will have a shot at the division and home-field advantage. As you can imagine, everything beyond this afternoon hinges on what happens today, so the notes were pretty limited pregame.
Even postgame, Girardi said, the Yankees won’t be able to answer a lot of questions. He said the team literally has nothing set. They haven’t decided on a roster or a rotation. There are nothing more than ideas at this point.
“Obviously we know Derek Jeter is going to be on the roster,” Girardi said. “But we have a meeting tomorrow and we’re going to talk about everything.”
• How much power does a starting pitcher have on game day? Joba Chamberlain’s locker in Boston is between Mariano Rivera and Dustin Moseley. When Joba got to his locker this morning, Rivera’s suitcase and Moseley’s suitcase had both spilled over into his spot. Joba had to move at least one of them, and he moved the closer’s. “(Moseley) can do what he wants today,” he said.
• Girardi said Dave Robertson is the only reliever from yesterday’s first game who he’ll have to check with before using him today.
• Are there relievers he needs to see to make roster decisions? “We’re going to try to win the game, that’s the bottom line, so not necessarily,” Girardi said.
• Moseley probably won’t go much over 75 pitches.
• Despite his struggles, count on Austin Kearns making the playoff roster. “At this point (leaving him off) is not something we’ve talked about,” Girardi said. “My guess is he’s going to be there.”
• Jorge Posada took a foul ball off the mask yesterday. “He’s OK,” Girardi said. “I specifically asked him last night after the game.”
• CC Sabathia has a bullpen today. It’s his last bit of pitching before Wednesday’s playoff opener.
• The Yankees will meet about the playoff roster tomorrow, but Girardi said not to expect an announcement until Tuesday.
UPDATE, 1:05 p.m.: Boston lineup.
Eric Patterson CF
Jed Lowrie SS
J.D. Drew RF
David Ortiz DH
Bill Hall 2B
Ryan Kalish CF
Jason Varitek C
Daniel Nava LF
Lars Anderson 1B
Associated Press photo of Rivera