Now that I’m back in the room to re-write a newspaper story and actually listen back to Brian Cashman’s brief conversation with a group of three reporters, I can throw a few more quick notes on the blog.
Fair warning, Cashman started by saying he doesn’t expect any significant Yankees news to break while he’s down here.
“I don’t expect to get anything done,” he said. “It will be mostly industry stuff… I’m not on the verge of anything.”
• Cashman said he still plans to bring back the rest of the Yankees coaching staff. “That’s our hope,” he said. Obviously Dave Eiland is out, and Mike Harkey could change things if he gets the pitching coach gig, but for now Cashman expects to have the rest of the coaches back for 2011.
• Cashman did not rule out Rick Peterson as a pitching coach candidate. “I’ve got a whole list of candidates that I’m going to plow through,” he said. “I’m not going to interview all of them. I know Rick’s a terrific pitching coach. There’s no doubt about.”
• The actual Cashman quote about Leo Mazzone: “We’re not going to interview Leo. Leo turned down the Yankee job once. He was offered the job before Gator, and he went to Baltimore.”
• Cashman acknowledged having interviewed Gil Patterson and Mike Harkey for the pitching coach opening, and he said the Scott Aldred interview will happen later this week, but he wouldn’t say who else will be interviewed for the pitching coach job. He only ruled out Mazzone.
• Similarly, Cashman acknowledged having already met with Derek Jeter, Cliff Lee, Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada — or their agents — but he wouldn’t say whether he’s talked to any other free agents. He said he’s already had some discussions with other teams, and he’ll have more discussions here in Orlando, but he said nothing is close to happening.
• I just thought this was cool: Cashman’s pitching coach interviews are so in depth, he has to do them at Yankee Stadium so that the pitching coaches can use the video facilities. “I could have continued them down here,” Cashman said. “But part of the process I have set up, I need the facility up there. These guys come in and do prep work. They get assigned kind of homework before the interview, so we need the facility and the video and all htat stuff up there. I can’t really transport the interview process.”