Just a few links and notes from this chilly Saturday.
• Over at ESPN.com, Rob Neyer makes the case the Derek Jeter re-signing with the Yankees was never really a sure thing.
• Also at ESPN, Buster Olney looks at the alternatives for Jeter and finds it hard to believe any other team could actually top the Yankees current offer. As always, Olney has a lot of other good notes and such.
• Jonathan Albaladejo’s deal in Japan is complete. He’ll make $950,000 with the Yomiuri Giants. Had he pitched in the big leagues all of next season, he would have earned roughly $400,000.
• MLBTradeRumors looks at the free agency of George Sherrill. Just thinking out loud, but he could be another fit for the Yankees left-handed relief opening. His splits are good.
• Reading a little bit about Brian Anderson, I found this pretty funny: On the day the Royals announced Anderson’s decision to switch from outfielder to pitcher, their starting center fielder was Rick Ankiel, a starting pitcher turned outfielder.
• It’s not quite Nevada beating Boise State — congrats to Nevada’s own Marc Carig — but it’s always a good day when Mizzou beats up on Kansas.
Associated Press photo