Good work by the Yankees, who hosted their Bronx Winter Wonderland event this afternoon in the Great Hall of Yankee Stadium. The team gave toys to approximately 5,000 children from the Bronx community. The event also included food, plenty of Christmas decorations and caroling from the Bronx-based Renaissance EMS (Education through Music and Sports). Mattel donated 2,000 toys, and the Yankees spent $25,000 on additional toys for the kids.
Good stuff. And on to some notes and links for the day.
• Zack Greinke apparently wants out of Kansas City. FOX Sports reports that he’s asked the Royals to trade him, and the Royals have discussed trade possibilities with multiple teams. Today Greinke also changed agents, signing with Casey Close, who represents Derek Jeter.
• Chad Gaudin has landed with the Nationals, agreeing to a minor league deal.
• Apparently the trade between the Padres and Rays is back on. Jason Bartlett being traded to San Diego was reported during the Winter Meetings, but getting it finalized took a while.
• The top position player still on the market is Adrian Beltre, and the Angels have reportedly made a “significant” offer.
• Kerry Wood’s signing is official, and he acknowledged that his offseason was all about rejoining the Cubs. “It’s never been about the money,” Wood said. “It’s about being home and being here at Wrigley, which is home for me.”