Assuming I’ve done some fairly simple math correctly, I have 8,975 words of transcribed quotes from today’s press conference. I’ve been sorting through that most of the day, but believe it or not, there have actually been things going on in the non-Andy Pettitte baseball world, including some Yankees news.
• According to good buddy Sweeny Murti, the Yankees have signed Ronnie Belliard and Eric Chavez to minor league deals. Considering the Yankees have a wide-open spot on their bench, those two could be legitimate candidates for the Opening Day roster.
• Ken Rosenthal says the Yankees have at least discussed attempting a trade for a left-handed starting pitcher. Rosenthal mentioned Joe Saunders, Scott Kazmir, Wade LeBlanc, Clayton Richard and Gio Gonzalez as potential targets. Not sure why Oakland would trade Gonzalez, but to me, he’s probably the name that stands out most.
• Robinson Cano has reportedly switched agents and will now be represented by Scott Boras.
• Vladimir Guerrero apparently got his $8 million. He’s settled on a one-year deal with the Orioles.
• Turns out Jim Edmonds is not retiring. He’s heading back to St. Louis on a minor league deal. Another outfielder, Gabe Gross, has landed a minor league deal with the Mariners.