Just arrived in Tampa, having discovering this morning that it’s now possible to buy bottles of Honest Tea in the Delta terminal of LaGuardia. That’s going to make my summer just a little bit better.
The bulk of the beat writers began arriving yesterday, and a few more will get to town this weekend. Meanwhile, more and more of the people you really care about — the actual Yankees themselves — have been arriving at the team’s minor league complex.
A few Twitter highlights from today…
• Eric Chavez was among the new arrivals. He said he’s been healthy all winter, and he has a “new heartbeat” with the Yankees. By the way, I blatantly stole this Chavez picture from Bryan Hoch. Let’s all say thank you by following him on Twitter.
• Worth mentioning that Chavez did some work at third base. Given his history as a Gold Glover, I doubt the Yankees are especially worried about his defense, but I guess you never know when a guy has missed as much time as Chavez missed the past three years. I’m sure he’s just taking grounders as a matter of course.
• Also new to the scene, and apparently healthy: Minor league signee Mark Prior.
• Prospects Dellin Betances and Adam Warren were among the pitchers throwing bullpen sessions this morning.
• Lefty Neal Cotts, signed to a minor league deal this winter, also threw a bullpen.
• Other position players at the complex today: Curtis Granderson, Russell Martin, Francisco Cervelli, Colin Curtis and Jesus Montero. I’m sure there were others, but those were mentioned by name on Twitter.
• Other pitchers at the complex: Andrew Brackman, Ivan Nova and Phil Hughes. Again, I’m sure there were plenty of others, but those were mentioned specifically by the reporters who beat me to Florida.