Just a few quick thoughts on the day pitchers and catchers reported to camp.
• CC Sabathia is noticeably lighter. He said he’s lost 25 pounds — “Not eating Cap’n Crunch everyday,” he said — and that seems like a reasonable number. He quite obviously smaller.
• Joba Chamberlain might be a little bigger, but I don’t think it’s as significant as it’s been portrayed. I’m also willing to buy the idea that he’s stronger, not fatter. He’s looks thicker up top, not necessarily softer or rounder.
• Austin Romine and Jesus Montero have lockers right next to one another and spent a lot of time talking this morning. Those two are in competition — if not for an immediate spot, certainly for a long-term spot — but they’ve always seemed friendly when I’ve seen them together.
• Rafael Soriano’s locker is right next to Mariano Rivera.
• Andruw Jones isn’t officially on the roster, but he has a locker with the No. 18.
• Damaso Marte is officially on the roster, but he doesn’t have a locker. Not a surprise, just something I noticed.
• Sabathia was pretty non-committal and didn’t say much when asked about his opt-out clause.
• Obviously I’ll have more from Joe Girardi a little later, but here’s one line from his introductory press conference: “I’d have a hard time with our ball club if we didn’t expect to win the division.”