Phil Hughes threw a bullpen this morning, but instead of the usual early spring allotment of 25 fastballs, Hughes mixed all of his pitches through a 40-pitch session. He threw 20, sat for a while, then threw 20 more. Cutters, breaking balls, changeups.
“The whole shebang,” Hughes said.
At the minor league complex, Hughes had already worked his way up to 40 pitches, but this was the first time he split the session in half. A lot of minor league guys have already faced live hitters, but the Yankees will dial most of them back to 25 pitches today and keep most of camp on more or less the same schedule.
• Mariano Rivera is still not in camp. “Maybe tomorrow,” Brian Cashman said.
• By the looks of Andruw Jones locker, it seems the Yankees new fourth outfielder has arrived in Tampa. Didn’t see him this morning, but his locker is full of stuff.
• Speaking of outfielders, a guy no one seemed to know walked into the clubhouse this morning carrying a bag over his shoulder. He looked around, read through some of the lists posted on the wall, then noticed his locker and started unpacking his stuff. That was Jordan Parraz’s grand entrance.
• The only non-catcher position player officially in camp is Brett Gardner, who’s technically here as a rehab player. Every day, the Yankees post several sheets of paper full of schedules and assignments for the day (hitting Group 1 takes BP at 11 a.m., pitching Group 3 does PFP at 11:30, stuff like that). Gardner gets his own line: “Gardner will stretch on F#1 at 11:15.” He is his own group.
• Manny Banuelos also threw a bullpen this morning.
• Bullpen assignments:
Joba Chamberlain (to Russell Martin)
Pedro Feliciano (to Jesus Montero)
Ivan Nova (to Austin Romine)
Dave Robertson (to Francisco Cervelli)
Andy Sisco (to Kyle Higashioka)
Brian Anderson (to Jose Gil)
Dellin Betances (to Gustavo Molina)
Andrew Brackman (to Kyle Higashioka)
Romulo Sanchez (to Austin Romine)
Daniel Turper (to Jesus Montero)
Steve Garrison (to Francisco Cervelli)
D.J. Mitchell (to Gustavo Molina)
David Phelps (to Jose Gil)
Adam Warren (to Russell Martin)
Eric Wordekemper (to Roman Rodriguez)
• Roman Rodriguez is the Yankees bullpen catcher. Every catcher in camp will catch two bullpens, leaving one leftover pitcher for Rodriguez.
• Hitting groups are the same as yesterday.
Group 1: Gil, Higashioka, Montero and Romine
Group 2: Martin, Cervelli, Molina, Posada and Gardner