Kind of an unusual day today. Pretty much the entire beat spent the late morning and early afternoon standing around in the corridor beneath the stands, waiting for players to either talk to the media or go to the field for workouts. There wasn’t much of either, mostly just a bunch of fruitless standing around.
But, the full team — most of it anyway — is finally in camp. A few quick thoughts on the first day with the full roster:
• Alex Rodriguez is slightly thinner. It’s not a drastic difference, not something that jumped out at me when I saw him, but Joe Girardi acknowledged that his third baseman lost a little bit of weight this offseason. “That was his idea,” Girardi said. Sounds like the Yankees were on board, though.
• Robinson Cano isn’t here yet. Girardi wouldn’t say why Cano wasn’t in camp this morning, but Cano is expected to arrive late this afternoon or early this evening. He’ll be ready for tomorrow’s full-squad workout.
• The only other position player who stands out as someone I didn’t see was Ronnie Belliard. But I might have just missed him. Girardi said everyone will be here at some point today.
• Nick Swisher was his old self, happy as ever. He said he’s enjoying the married life. “Amazing,” he said. “Loving it.” He kept his offseason routine the exact same this year as last year. If it ain’t broke…
• Mark Teixeira said his hamstring injury took only four or five weeks to heal. It was the bruised hand and broken toe that didn’t feel 100 percent until early January. “I’m going to get hit with pitches, I’m going to dive and jam stuff,” Teixeira said. “You just have to play through it and hope for the best.”
• It’s easy to see why the Justin Maxwell scouting reports rave about his athleticism. The guy is tall and lean. He just looks like a guy who can go get the ball in center field and drive the ball gap to gap. Of course, I like him because when I told him I went to Missouri he immediately started asking about Kareem Rush. The guy knows some Mizzou basketball. What’s not to like?
• Colin Curtis went from having a locker last spring that was tucked in a rather obscure, decidedly minor league portion of the room, to having a spot in the back row with Swisher, Teixeira, Eric Chavez, Curtis Granderson and Andruw Jones.
• Since I wasn’t around a computer this morning to post the bullpen assignments, I’ll post them here. CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett and Mark Prior all threw early this morning, leaving only two groups for the regular bullpens.
Bartolo Colon (to Austin Romine)
Freddy Garcia (to Jesus Montero)
Sergio MItre (to Gustavo Molina)
Boone Logan (to Jose Gil)
Luis Ayala (to Francisco Cervelli)
Buddy Carlyle (to Gustavo Molina)
Robert Fish (to Jose Gil)
Ryan Pope (to Kyle Higashioka)
Associated Press photos of Jeter and Swisher