- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Sunday morning notes: A day late, Cano arrives in Tampa
Posted By Chad Jennings On February 20, 2011 @ 10:18 am In Notes | 95 Comments
Robinson Cano has arrived. While he talked to the media about his one-day-late trip to Tampa, Derek Jeter walked into the clubhouse, realized who the pack of reporters was talking to, and stopped on a dime. Jeter stood at the back of the media pack, staring at Cano until Cano finally noticed his shortstop and team captain looking at him. When Cano finally started laughing, Jeter walked away.
Cano said he was in New York yesterday when he got a call from the team. Cano said he would be in Tampa the next day, and that’s when he found out that he had the days mixed up, that the physicals were on Saturday, not Sunday.
“I was a little scared, a little bit,” Cano said. “I don’t like to be late. You guys know, I’m almost on time. I talked to Geno and I apologized.”
I’m sure the guys will continue to give him a hard time, but no one around the Yankees seems too upset by the whole thing.
• Obviously I’ll have much more on the Derek Jeter press conference as soon as I can get it transcribed and get the audio uploaded. A lot of the topics were familiar — he doesn’t think about last year, he’s moved on after contract talks, he just wants to win — but Jeter talked quite a bit about the slight mechanical changes he’s made with his swing. Said he got into some bad habits last year, and at that point it was time to eliminate the stride, something he expected to happen eventually.
• Joe Girardi is going to address the team for the first time this morning. He said the message is simple. “Be the best we can be,” he said. “That’s our goal.”
• Kevin Russo is hitting with the outfielders, but going through fielding drills with the infielders.
• Seems like quite a few guys threw early morning bullpens today. I saw Joba Chamberlain and Ivan Nova throwing this morning, but some more guys were in the bullpen while reporters were doing interviews in the clubhouse. It’s a pretty small set of bullpens today.
• Bullpen assignments:
Phil Hughes (to Gustavo Molina)
Pedro Feliciano (to Francisco Cervelli)
Warner Madrigal (to Austin Romine)
Hector Noesi (to Roman Rodriguez)
Romulo Sanchez (to Jesus Montero)
• Hitting groups:
Infield Group 1: Robinson Cano, Derek Jeter, Eduardo Nunez, Jorge Posada
Infield Group 2: Ronnie Belliard, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira, Russell Martin
Infield Group 3: Eric Chavez, Brandon Laird, Ramiro Pena, Francisco Cervelli
Infield Group 4: Doug Bernier, Bradley Suttle, Jorge Vazquez, Jesus Montero
Outfield Group 1: Greg Golson, Andruw Jones, Nick Swisher, Gustavo Molina
Outfield Group 2: Brett Gardner, Curtis Granderson, Justin Maxwell, Austin Romine
Outfield Group 3: Colin Curtis, Jordan Parraz, Melky Mesa, Kyle Higashioka
Outfield Group 4: Daniel Brewer, Austin Krum, Kevin Russo, Jose Gil
• Defensive groups
Catcher Group 1: Jose Gil, Russell Martin, Gustavo Molina, Russell Martin
Catcher Group 2: Francisco Cervelli, Kyle Higashioka, Jorge Posada, Austin Romine
Infield Group 1: Doug Bernier, Robinson Cano, Eric Chavez, Derek Jeter, Eduardo Nunez, Brad Suttle, Jorge Vazquez
Infield Group 2: Ronnie Belliard, Brandon Laird, Ramiro Pena, Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Russo, Mark Teixeira
Outfield Group 1: Daniel Brewer, Curtis Granderson, Andruw Jones, Austin Krum, Jordan Parraz
Outfield Group 2: Colin Curtis, Brett Gardner, Greg Golson, Justin Maxwell, Melky Mesa, Nick Swisher
Associated Press photo of Jeter and Cano
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2011/02/20/sunda/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Yankees_Dodgers_Baseball-68724.largeslideshow.jpg
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/ph_456051.jpg