Off to a roaring start on my first day back on the job. Couldn’t log into the blog this morning in Tampa, then had to drive to the Tigers’ facility in Lakeland. Things are finally working again, so we’re back online and ready to go with CC Sabathia’s first spring start.
“I don’t necessarily have a lot of concern about him except health,” Joe Girardi said.
As long as Sabathia gets through this outing without any physical problems, the Yankees will be happy. He could give up 20 runs this afternoon and still be the Opening Day starter in a month.
Today will also be the Yankees spring training debut for Mark Prior (who’s scheduled to pitch in relief) and Russell Martin (who’s getting the start at DH).
• Greg Golson said he feels fine after being hit in the head by A.J. Burnett yesterday. It was during live batting practice, and it was the first pitch Golson saw. He said he was shaken up initially, but he feels fine and was laughing about it this morning. He’ll go for precautionary tests, but Golson said he’s not worried about it.
• Andrew Brackman threw off flat ground today and yesterday. He’ll probably throw off a mound Tuesday or Wednesday. “Knock the rust off, then get in a game,” he said.
• Girardi said he’s excited to see Prior, but he’s also excited to see Manny Banuelos get into today’s game. Girardi said the Yankees are trying to pull back on the young guys and not let them go all out just yet. They don’t want them to overdo it. Dellin Betances, for example, could have pitched more than an inning yesterday but the Yankees didn’t want him going too crazy trying to make a big impression.
• Pitchers available this afternoon: CC Sabathia, Pedro Feliciano, Manny Banuelos, Mark Prior, Daniel Turpen, Robert Fish, D.J. Mitchell, Luis Ayala, Steve Garrison, Eric Wordekemper and Ryan Pope. That’s the group that made the trip. It’s not likely all of them will get in the game.
• Scheduled to play off the bench: C Austin Romine, 1B Jose Gil, 2B Ramiro Pena, SS Doug Bernier, 3B Jorge Vazquez, LF Jordan Parraz, CF Austin Krum, RF Daniel Brewer, DH Colin Curtis
Derek Jeter SS
Robinson Cano 2B
Mark Teixeira 1B
Alex Rodriguez 3B
Andruw Jones RF
Russell Martin DH
Francisco Cervelli C
Justin Maxwell LF
Melky Mesa CF
LHP CC Sabathia
Austin Jackson CF
Ryan Raburn LF
Magglio Ordonez RF
Miguel Cabrera DH
Victor Martinez 1B
Jhonny Peralta SS
Brandon Inge 3B
Scott Sizemore 2B
Alex Avila C
RHP Justin Verlander
Associated Press photo of Martin catching in the bullpen