Early bus to Kissimmee this morning, early enough that the schedule in the Yankees clubhouse had this note in all capital letters: NO CONDITIONING TODAY. Players who are staying behind to take BP and throw in the bullpen will stretch here, but most of the guys showed up, grabbed some stuff out of their lockers and hit the road.
Today it’s the regular infielders making the trip while the regular outfielders stay behind. Joe Girardi has kept his infielders and outfielders together all spring, alternating game by game.
“It seemed like the best way to do it,” Girardi said. “Eventually they’re going to overlap.”
Obviously Girardi wants his infielders to get used to turning double plays together, and he wants his outfielders to get a feel for who can cover the gaps, and which fly balls belong to which player.
• After taking a foul tip, Jesus Montero iced his hand yesterday, and Girardi said there’s still no concern about an injury. “He’s fine,” Girardi said.
• It’s pretty cloudy and looks like rain here in Tampa. Apparently it’s the same on the other side of the state. Apparently Phil Hughes has taken over for Andy Pettitte as the starter who pitches on the rainy days in spring training.
• Girardi wasn’t positive, but it seems there’s a chance Andrew Brackman will throw one more sim game before getting into an actual game. Girardi said Brackman wasn’t on the list of scheduled pitchers for the next few games. It’s all Larry Rothschild’s call.
• Girardi said he’s trying to make sure Russell Martin gets a chance to catch the guys who will definitely be on the big league roster in April. “It’s a two-way street,” Girardi said. “But I always feel it’s a catcher’s responsibility to get to know his pitching staff.”
• Kyle Higashioka got out of today’s road trip. He’s staying behind to catch side sessions from Bartolo Colon, Manny Banuelos and Mariano Rivera.
• Ronnie Belliard is listed as one of the hitters who will stay in Tampa and take batting practice this morning.
• Upcoming rotation:
Monday: A.J. Burnett (home), Sergio Mitre (road)
Tuesday: Freddy Garcia
Wednesday: Bartolo Colon
Thursday: CC Sabathia
Friday: Phil Hughes (home), Ivan Nova (road)
Saturday: A.J. Burnett
Sunday: Sergio Mitre
Monday: Freddy Garcia
Tuesday: CC Sabathia (sim game on an off day)
• Today’s available pitchers: Phil Hughes, Steve Garrison, Brian Anderson, Eric Wordekemper, David Phelps, Hector Noesi, Andy Sisco, D.J. Mitchell and Adam Warren.
• Off the bench: C Gustavo Molina, 1B Jose Gil, 2B Kevin Russo, SS Eduardo Nunez, 3B Brad Suttle, LF Jordan Parraz, CF Austin Krum, RF Daniel Brewer, DH Justin Maxwell
• Tomorrow’s travelers today: With a split double header tomorrow, the Yankees regular outfielders will stay home for the afternoon game and the regular infielders will travel to Sarasota for the night game.
These are the players who will be on the road tomorrow
Pitchers: Sergio Mitre, Dellin Betances, Robert Fish, D.J. Mitchell, Ryan Pope, Andy Sisco, Adam Warren and Eric Wordekemper
Players: Jose Gil, Kyle Higashioka, Austin Romine, Doug Bernier, Robinson Cano, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Russo, Mark Teixeira, Daniel Brewer, Colin Curtis, Andruw Jones, Austin Krum, Justin Maxwell and Melky Mesa