Brian Cashman said it’s “silly” to suggest the Yankees offered more than $54-million offer to Aroldis Chapman before he signed with the Reds.
According to Sports Illustrated, a current lawsuit says the Yankees made such an offer, but Cashman said no such offer was ever on the table. In fact, the Yankees never made Chapman an offer.
• Speaking of not making offers, Cashman once again said he has nothing brewing on the trade market. Even in late spring, Cashman said, most available players have either terrible contracts or no remaining options. He said it’s still very possible the Yankees will open the season with only players who are currently in camp.
• Mariano Rivera threw live BP today. “Yogi said he looked pretty good and we should give him another look,” Joe Girardi said.
• Still not certain when Rivera will get in a game, though it looks like March 16 is a good bet. Rafael Soriano will make his first spring appearance tonight.
• Bartolo Colon is scheduled for four innings as tonight’s starter. Girardi said his long reliever will “probably” be one of the four back-of-the-rotation candidates. Cashman said the Yankees have talked to Colon’s agents about the possibility of keeping him in the bullpen. They have not talked to Freddy Garcia’s agents about making him a reliever. Both can opt out at the end of spring training.
• Eduardo Nunez is playing left field off the bench today, and Ramiro Pena is scheduled to take play balls in left field during fielding drills. Girardi said the Yankees want to give both utility candidates a little bit of outfield time because it’s very possible the Yankees will carry only one reserve outfielder.
• Also, Girardi said it’s not impossible that the Yankees would carry both Nunez and Pena, but it’s clear they’re planning to take one utility man and one from a crowd of corner infielders (Chavez, Belliard, Vazquez, Laird). Technically, Nunez and Pena could play the infield corners, but the Yankees are looking at their reserve infield candidates as separate groups, planning to take one utility and one corner.
• A.J. Burnett, Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, Sergio Mitre, Ivan Nova, Hector Noesi, Adam Warren and D.J. Mitchell threw sides today.
• Scheduled to play off the bench: C Kyle Higashioka, 1B Jose Gil, 2B Kevin Russo, SS Doug Bernier, 3B Jorge Vazquez, LF Eduardo Nunez, CF Austin Krum, RF Daniel Brewer, DH Jesus Montero
• Available out of the bullpen: Manny Banuelos, Rafael Soriano, Pedro Feliciano, Daniel Turpen, Luis Ayala, Andy Sisco, Eric Wordekemper, Ryan Pope and Mark Prior. It’s likely only Banuelos, Soriano and Feliciano will actually get in the game behind Colon.
• There was no travel squad listed for tomorrow’s game in Clearwater.