Unless he’s an active reader of online Yankees news, Manny Banuelos has no idea he’s about to start against the Red Sox tonight. Joe Girardi said he wanted to sleep on the decision, and as of a few minutes ago, he still had not seen Banuelos to let him know.
“I’m curious to see how he reacts,” Girardi said. “I waited until today to make sure that’s what we wanted to do… The Red Sox. There (on the road). ESPN. It’s something.”
Banuelos has opened eyes all spring, but this will be a different sort of experience. He’s a confident young pitcher, just one day past his 20th birthday, but this will certainly be the most intense start of his life. Spring training games might not carry much weight for veterans, but for the kids in big league camp, these games are intense.
“Even if he gets too hyped up, that’s something that he can learn from,” Girardi said. “That’s what we’re going to concentrate on not letting him do tonight. Don’t get too hyped up.”
• Joba Chamberlain also has some mild discomfort around his ribs. Girardi said it’s very similar to the Mitre soreness. Girardi learned about it after last night’s game. “(Chamberlain) will probably be pushed back to Wednesday or Thursday,” Girardi said. “We don’t think it’s anything serious.”
• If this were the regular season, Girardi said Mitre would probably make the start. “Now, with the history of the oblique strain last year, we just said, shut you down for a few days and see where you’re at,” Girardi said. “If everything goes OK we’re going to try to get him where he can split a game in a few days. It’s a setback of a few days, but I’m thinking it’s not going to sway our decision on way or another. We’ll still try to get him those innings.”
• Girardi said he expects Mitre to split a game with another pitcher, possibly on Thursday. Basically, Mitre and another starter would each go four or five innings.
• Boone Logan has a sim game today. He’ll pitch to Brandon Laird and Justin Snyder, who were the first two position players in the Yankees clubhouse this morning.
• Jorge Posada, Russell Martin, Mark Teixeira, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter and Robinson Cano will stay behind to hit in the cage this afternoon.
• A.J. Burnett has a side session today.
• Off the bench: C Austin Romine, 1B Jose Gil, 2B Kevin Russo, SS Doug Bernier, 3B Brandon Laird, LF Justin Maxwell, CF Melky Mesa, RF Jordan Parraz, DH Gustavo Molina
• Out of the bullpen: Dellin Betances, Romulo Sanchez, Mark Prior, Luis Ayala, Ryan Pope, Steve Garrison and D.J. Mitchell.
• Mitchell was sent to minor league camp yesterday, but he’ll come back up for the day to give the Yankees an extra pitcher. Snyder was called up from minor league camp to give the Yankees an extra utility man for the road trip.
UPDATE, 12:50 p.m.: Rule 5 pick George Kontos has been returned from the Padres. He’ll report to minor league camp.
Associated Press photo