Still no word on why Russell Martin was removed from today’s lineup, but Austin Romine has been away from the team to deal with a personal matter and he just got back to camp this morning. The change could be as simple as wanting to get Romine back on the field as soon as possible.
Might know more before the start of the game. For now, though, I can only say that Martin seems to be just fine. He seems to be going through drills like he normally would.
• While pitchers threw bullpens this morning, Tony Pena took Jesus Montero through some drills, flipping balls one after another and having Montero catch them barehanded. By the time Montero flipped the first ball back to Pena, the second ball was on its way.
• Speaking of that bullpen, Joba Chamberlain and Pedro Feliciano each threw bullpens this morning and came out saying they felt fine. Chamberlain threw pretty close to 100 percent and said he feels ready for a game. Feliciano threw close to 80 percent, only 15 or 20 pitches, and said he’ll probably throw a full bullpen before he’s ready for a game. Both said they expect to be ready for Opening Day.
• Boone Logan was a late addition to tomorrow’s travel roster. Could mean that his back is better than expected.
• Phil Hughes, Bartolo Colon and Dellin Betances also threw bullpens this morning.
• Eduardo Nunez is starting in left field, with Ramiro Pena playing left field off the bench. The Yankees want to get both utility candidates a few outfield reps so that they can be emergency fifth outfielders if necessary.
• Brett Gardner is not in the lineup, but he said his sore right calf is fine. “I’m good to play today,” he said. The outfielders seem to be getting a regular day off.
• A.J. Burnett has a massive bruise on his lower back after being hit by yesterday’s line drive, but he said he feels fine.
• The most recent cuts are still in camp, with Kevin Russo, Brandon Laird and Melky Mesa scheduled to make tomorrow’s road trip. Those cuts seem to have been paper moves, nothing more. Nothing about their daily routine has changed.
• Off the Bench: C Jesus Montero, 1B Eric Chavez, 2B Kevin Russo, SS Doug Bernier, 3B Ronnie Belliard, LF Ramiro Pena, CF Justin Maxwell, RF Jordan Parraz, DH Gustavo Molina
• Out of the Bullpen: Mariano Rivera, Manny Banuelos, Mark Prior, Luis Ayala, Steve Garrison, Eric Wordekemper, Ryan Pope, Wilkins Arias, Hernandez
• Tomorrow’s Travelers Today: The Yankees are taking almost all of their regulars on the road to Clearwater tomorrow.
Pitchers who will be making the trip: CC Sabathia, Steve Garrison, Boone Logan, Ryan Pope, Dave Robertson, Romulo Sanchez, Rafael Soriano, Eric Wordekemper, Josh Schmidt, Andy Sisco.
Players who will not be making the trip: Jorge Posada, Eduardo Nunez, Ramiro Pena, Greg Golson, Colin Curtis, Francisco Cervelli
• After the Wolverines’ lopsided win over Tennessee, Derek Jeter showed up this morning wearing a Michigan t-shirt.