Those were Joe Girardi’s first words this morning when the beat writers met with him before driving to Clearwater.
Girardi said he’s still not sure when Joba Chamberlain or Pedro Feliciano might pitch next, and he has no lineup or rotation announcements to make. For the most part, everything is the same as it was last night.
Phil Hughes joked that he could give us a story.
“I could throw a chair or something,” he said.
Truth is, Hughes had the same attitude as ever when asked about being named the No. 3 starter instead of the No. 2. He’s a pretty laid back guy, and his exact spot in the rotation didn’t seem to matter.
“It’s a lot better than last year,” he said. “When it comes down to it, in the middle of the year, it doesn’t matter.”
• Andruw Jones was scratched from today’s travel roster so that he could play in a minor league game and get several at-bats. When big league guys go down to minor league camp, they usually leadoff the first five or six innings, then call it a day. Girardi said he’ll be sending some more guys down to minor league camp in the coming days to get at-bats that way.
• Sounds like the Yankees won’t have a full off day on Thursday after all. Girardi said that Larry Rothschild mentioned the possibility of someone pitching that morning. Girardi wouldn’t say who, but I have to think it will be Freddy Garcia.
• What’s keeping Girardi from naming Ivan Nova his No. 4 starter? “We just want to let it play out,” he said. “I think it’s important to go out and earn things.”
• Jesus Montero will catch tomorrow night’s game on the road. Not sure this carries any real weight in the backup catcher competition, but… Girardi said Montero has closed the defensive gap between himself and Austin Romine, but Romine is still better defensively at this point. “Maybe a little bit,” Girardi said.
• Greg Golson has been cleared to hit in the cage.
• Ivan Nova has a one-inning sim game today against Eduardo Nunez and Ramiro Pena. A.J. Burnett and Sergio Mitre threw sides.
• Off the bench: C Jesus Montero, 1B Jorge Vazquez, 2B Ronnie Belliard, SS Doug Bernier, 3B Brandon Laird, LF Kevin Russo, CF Melky Mesa, RF Justin Maxwell. No backup DH listed.
• Out of the bullpen: Rafael Soriano, Boone Logan, Dave Robertson, Romulo Sanchez, Steve Garrison, Eric Wordekemper, Ryan Pope, Josh Schmidt and Andy Sisco.
• Tomorrow’s travelers today: Tomorrow the Yankees have a night game in Port Charlotte, roughly a two-hour drive.
Pitchers who will be making the trip: Bartolo Colon, Manny Banuelos, Steve Garrison, Ryan Pope, Romulo Sanchez and Eric Wordekemper
Players who will not be making the trip: Russell Martin, Jorge Posada, Ronnie Belliard, Eric Chavez, Brett Gardner, Greg Golson, Curtis Granderson and Nick Swisher.
• Finally, Derek Jeter is on today’s trip, despite the fact his beloved Michigan is playing Duke this afternoon in the NCAA Tournament. There was a lot of joking with Jeter about that this morning. Those third and fourth at-bats might be awfully quick from the Yankees captain (not really, but there was plenty of joking that he should finish those ABs as fast as possible so he can get home and watch).
Associated Press photos of Hughes and Jones