I’m writing this post on my phone in the clubhouse so that I can get on the road quickly. A night game in Port Charlotte is no good. No good at all.
Turns out; the decision to bring Brett Gardner on this trip actually has more to do with Andruw Jones than anything to do with the lineup. The Yankees are facing lefties the next couple of days and Joe Girardi wants Jones in those lineups.
To get Jones in the outfield the next two days, Gardner will take the day off tomorrow and Curtis Granderson will be off on Wednesday.
A few more quick notes.
– Girardi said he’ll probably stick with this lineup whenever Gardner and Derek Jeter play together the next few days. That’s because the Yankees have a full season to inform their thoughts on Jeter in the leadoff spot. They’re using spring training to look at this version of the lineup.
– Pedro Feliciano threw a 25-pitch bullpen and said he felt good. Freddy Garcia also threw a side.
– Joba Chamberlain will pitch in tomorrow’s game in Sarasota. “You feel better (about Chamberlain) than you did a week ago,” Girardi said.
– Mariano Rivera pitched at the minor league complex today. Jones also played down there to get at bats.
– Greg Golson took regular batting practice this afternoon. He was a late addition to tomorrow’s travel roster and might play if he feels good tomorrow morning.
– Mark Teixeira is not making today’s trip, but he’s healthy and will be on the road tomorrow.
– Off the bench: C Austin Romine, 1B Brandon Laird, 2B Kevin Russo, SS Doug Bernier, 3B Jorge Vazquez, LF Jordan Parraz, CF Melky Mesa, no backup listed for RF.
– Out of the bullpen: Manny Banuelos, Romulo Sanchez, Steve Garrison, Eric Wordekemper, Ryan Pope, Cory Arbiso and Pat Venditte.
– Pretty sure Arbiso’s first name is Cory. Never met him and don’t have a media guide down here with me, but I think that’s right. I’m also quite sure it won’t matter. He’s making the trip as a backup.