Major League Baseball just sent this press release.
Derek Jeter of the New York Yankees, Joe Mauer of the Minnesota Twins and Roy Halladay of the Philadelphia Phillies top the list of MLB Most Popular Jerseys released jointly today by Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association, based on sales of official Majestic jerseys for the 2010 calendar year.
Players representing 11 different MLB Clubs make up the list of top 20 most popular jerseys – including seven of the eight 2010 playoff teams — with seven different clubs in the top ten. In addition, 12 of the top 20 players are under the age of 30. The Phillies have the most players in the top 20 with four (Halladay, Chase Utley, Cliff Lee and Ryan Howard). Three rookies cracked the top 20 list, including Atlanta’s Jason Heyward, Washington’s Stephen Strasburg and San Francisco’s Buster Posey. The top 20 include ten infielders, four pitchers, four outfielders and two catchers. Of the top 20, 16 were All-Stars in 2010 and 15 played on teams that reached the Postseason.
MLB Most Popular Jerseys
Based on Majestic 2010 sales figures
1. Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
2. Joe Mauer, Minnesota Twins
3. Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies
4. Chase Utley, Philadelphia Phillies
5. *Cliff Lee, Philadelphia Phillies
6. Albert Pujols, St. Louis Cardinals
7. Josh Hamilton, Texas Rangers
8. Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox
9. Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees
10. Tim Lincecum, San Francisco Giants
11. Mark Teixeira, New York Yankees
12. Jason Heyward, Atlanta Braves
13. Stephen Strasburg, Washington Nationals
14. Ryan Braun, Milwaukee Brewers
15. Justin Morneau, Minnesota Twins
16. Jacoby Ellsbury, Boston Red Sox
17. Ian Kinsler, Texas Rangers
18. Ryan Howard, Philadelphia Phillies
19. Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
20. Evan Longoria, Tampa Bay Rays
*Lee played for the Seattle Mariners and Texas Rangers in 2010, before signing with Philadelphia in November. His ranking reflects sales of jerseys for all three teams.
Also, Major League Baseball announced that sales of officially licensed MLB merchandise reached an all-time high in 2010, with total licensing revenues up +6% over the previous year. Products featuring the marks of the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Phillies and Cubs were the hottest sellers in 2010 (top ten listed below).
MLB Licensing 2010 Club Rankings
Based on sales of all licensed products for the 2010 calendar year
1. New York Yankees
2. Boston Red Sox
3. Los Angeles Dodgers
4. Philadelphia Phillies
5. Chicago Cubs
6. St. Louis Cardinals
7. Chicago White Sox
8. Atlanta Braves
9. Minnesota Twins
10. Detroit Tigers
Associated Press photo