- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Pregame notes: Gathering information on Hughes
Posted By Chad Jennings On April 26, 2011 @ 5:40 pm In Notes | 16 Comments
Phil Hughes spent four hours at the doctor’s office today. He had an MRI on his shoulder, an MRI on his elbow and a few vascular tests. He’s scheduled to go back for a second round of tests tomorrow.
“If they find something, they find something,” Hughes said. “I’m just anxious to figure out what’s going on. I talked to the doctor this morning and (they) basically want to get as many tests done as possible so we can paint a clear picture of exactly what’s going on. As much information as we can gather, basically. The more the better.”
Hughes said his arm does not bother him in his day-to-day life. It doesn’t bother him when he’s loading groceries or anything like that, and he’s able to life weights like normal. Then again, he said the weight lifting could be testing only the larger muscles and “masking” an issue with a smaller muscle. It’s possible, and that’s why he’s doing so many tests. He said all of his symptoms are things he’s felt in the past, they’ve just lingered longer than ever before.
Joe Girardi said he never saw anything last season to suggest Hughes’ workload was having a negative impact, but certainly it’s possible that it’s affecting him now. Based on what Hughes has experienced and said, the Yankees have done all the things they know to do. Now they’re looking for medical issues.
“I think you just don’t want to give guys MRIs just to give them MRIs,” Girardi said. “They say you should only have so many MRIs per year. I don’t want him walking around like Spiderman, every time you feel something you go get an MRI. I think you have to be careful… Because he had no pain, we didn’t feel the need.”
Hughes kept answering questions in waves, but here’s early chunk of his pregame interview(s).
• Girardi said he came into this home stand having decided to give Alex Rodriguez a DH day either yesterday or today. It happened to be today. “We had a long day Sunday, night game last night, so I thought I would just DH him and get Chavy in there for a day,” Girardi said. “Russell caught three days in a row, so I thought I’d get Molina in there.”
• Girardi said he’s not considering this a make-or-break start for Ivan Nova. Kevin Millwood is looming in Triple-A, but Girardi said Nova is not pitching for his job. He did acknowledge, though, that Nova might be thinking that way. “It’s not how I’m thinking, but I’ve been a young player, and I know that feeling,” Girardi said. “Sometimes it’s tough, but you have to fight that, and you have to be able to put that aside when you go out.”
• Francisco Cervelli was rained out last night and he’s scheduled to catch for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre tonight. The Yankees still want him to catch back-to-back games before they activate him from the disabled list.
• Girardi on Jorge Posada’s struggles: “It just seems like he’s kind of in between. At times he’s late on the fastball and he’s early on the offspeed, and it seems like when he makes contact, he’s made some pretty good contact.”
• Colin Curtis was back in the clubhouse today. He has the most elaborate sling/brace I’ve ever seen wrapped around his right arm and shoulder. He said he has to wear it when he sleeps. Doctors discovered a significant labrum tear. That’s what was repaired during surgery. He won’t be able to do anything for a few months, but he said he should be ready well in time for spring training next year. Still, bad break for a good guy. He’s staying in New York doing some rehab work.
• Good news and bad news in Trenton:  Dellin Betances is about to come off the disabled list and start later this week, but Graham Stoneburner is going on the disabled list with a neck issue.
Juan Pierre LF
Alexei Ramirez SS
Carlos Quentin RF
Paul Konerko 1B
Adam Dunn DH
Alex Rios CF
A.J. Pierzynski C
Gordon Beckham 2B
Brent Morel 3B
Associated Press photo of Rodriguez
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2011/04/26/pregame-notes-gathering-information-on-hughes/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&promoid=BIOW
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/c91348aa2d3c4c09eb0e6a706700b5bc.jpg
 Good news and bad news in Trenton:: http://thunderbaseball.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/stiff-neck-for-stoneburner/