The Yankees did not hit on the field this afternoon, which meant no infield drills. At least, that was the initial plan. Just a few minutes ago, Derek Jeter and Eduardo Nunez went to shortstop and Jorge Posada went to first base for a brief session of infield practice.
“Every day I’ve been taking grounders,” Posada said. “Today, I wish I could take a little bit more grounders because obviously I’m out there. I would like to be on the field taking more grounders, yeah.”
Obviously Posada got some friends to help him out. Someone asked if Posada made a point of telling the shortstop to make all of his throws chest-high. Posada said he told all of the infielders that.
Joe Girardi said he had this in mind a few days ago, deciding today would be a good day to give Mark Teixeira a DH start, and all along he was planning to play Posada in his place at first base. The Yankees told Posada to start taking extra grounders after Eric Chavez went on the disabled list.
“Where to be with people on base, where you have to be (on) cut-offs, if it’s a double. It’s just challenging,” Posada said. “You have to think about it before the play starts. It keeps you in the game.”
By the way, Posada got own first baseman’s glove this spring. Until this year he’s kept a first base mitt with him, but it was an old one that used to belong to Tino Martinez.
“(The ball) will find me,” Posada said.
All things considered, Chris Dickerson is in good shape. He has a cut along the bottom of his forehead extending just above his left eye. The bump from last night is gone, replaced with a scratch that Dickerson said might be from the ball itself grazing his face. He has a very minor concussion, but none of the usual symptoms — no sensitivity to light or dizziness — except for a “splitting” headache.
“Every time I look at the replay, if you don’t look down just in time, it hits you right in the face, right square in the eye rather than in the side,” Dickerson said. “I just feel extremely fortunate today.”
Dickerson said he absolutely does not believe the pitch was intentional, and he also does not believe he’ll need to be placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list. Girardi said it was a possibility, but Dickerson said he felt surprisingly good today. He was still wearing the bracelets from his hospital visit last night.
Here’s Dickerson speaking this afternoon.
• Girardi said there was no serious consideration of a player move. The Yankees feel that they’re covered for multiple innings because Amauri Sanit is here as a second long man.
• It’s not a sure thing — Girardi said it depends on what time the Yankees get back to New York tonight/tomorrow — but right now the Yankees are planning to have Alex Rodriguez go for a short checkup tomorrow afternoon.
• Phil Hughes did more or less the exact same series of throws that he did on Tuesday. Said everything still feels pretty good.
• Girardi said it’s possible he’ll use Teixeira for late-inning defense tonight.
• Girardi said he will not use Dickerson tonight.
• No word on whether Dave Robertson is available tonight. The only pitcher Girardi ruled out was Hector Noesi. He has to check with Robertson and the rest to make sure they’re up to pitching. The fact Robertson got hot in the bullpen last night almost counts like a game the way the Yankees view workload.
• Girardi said it’s good to start Posada at first base on a day CC Sabathia is pitching. “A lot of right-handers in their lineup,” he said. “CC is a guy that, he’s going to get his share of ground balls, but you’re going to think more of them are going to be to the left side than the right side.”
• Had Rodriguez been ejected last night, Girardi said his first thought would have been to put Posada at catcher and Russell Martin at third base. “Probably would have been my first thought and we would have seen how it went,” Girardi said. “Or maybe you put Texy at first and Jorge at first.”
• Yes, Girardi really called Teixeira, “Texy.”
Robert Andino 2B
J.J. Hardy SS
Nick Markakis RF
Vladimir Guerrero DH
Adam Jones CF
Felix Pie LF
Mark Reynolds 3B
Jake Fox C
Brandon Snyder 1B
Associated Press photos