Jorge Posada still does not have a hit against a left-handed pitcher this season, and at this point, it’s becoming clear that he’s pretty much run out of chances. The Yankees regular lineup against lefties doesn’t include Posada, and last night, Joe Girardi used Andruw Jones to pinch hit for Posada against a left-handed reliever.
With Posada struggling, Girardi has used the DH spot to rest Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez against lefties. Today it’s Jeter’s turn to DH. In the next few days against Oakland, Rodriguez will get a DH day.
“It’s just a way for me to try to give some of my right-handers a blow,” Girardi said. “That’s what I’ve done. Jeet is a guy that needs DH days, and Alex is a guy that needs DH days, and those are the days that I’ve chose to do it on.”
Girardi said that Posada sitting against lefties is a trend that could continue for a while.
“Could be,” Girardi said. “Alex is probably going to need a DH day here coming up too. We’ve got day, night, day in Oakland. Two lefties. So one of those days is probably going to Alex’s, and then I’ll decide the other one.”
• Russell Martin almost certainly wouldn’t have played this afternoon anyway, but he also fouled a ball off his toe last night. He’s sore, but Girardi said he expects Martin to be ready to play tomorrow.
• Phil Hughes threw off a mound again today. He was throwing while Girardi was speaking — “He looks good from here,” Girardi said — and I didn’t see Hughes in the clubhouse afterward.
• Brett Gardner’s not hurt after last night’s tumbling play in the 12th inning. Today’s just a standard day off to get Jones in the lineup.
• Girardi committed to sticking with Ivan Nova for his next start. Nova will pitch Friday against the Angels. “He has the ability to do it, he’s just not doing it,” Girardi said. “He couldn’t find his curveball last night. He’s been kind of a two-pitch pitcher, and when you don’t have your breaking ball, you put yourself in bad spots. I think he needs to use all his pitches, and that’s just having confidence in what you’ve got.”
• Dave Robertson is not available tonight. Luis Ayala and Hector Noesi are probably not available either.
• Robinson Cano was not running on his own last night when he was caught stealing. That was a hit-and-run that didn’t work.
• Girardi said he never got to the point that he was thinking about which position player might have to pitch last night. “I think you could use Cervy,” Girardi said. “Just tell him keep it short, don’t try to throw it hard and hope that he throws strikes. I don’t know. I talked about using Robertson left-handed. He shags left-handed.”
Ichiro Suzuki RF
Chone Figgins 3B
Justin Smoak 1B
Franklin Gutierrez CF
Mike Wilson DH
Brendan Ryan SS
Jack Wilson 2B
Michael Saunders LF
Chris Gimenez C
Associated Press photos