A few very quick postgame notes. I’ll have more later.
• As expected, Phil Hughes will start Wednesday in Cleveland. He’s moving directly into Ivan Nova’s rotation spot. He’ll throw an extra bullpen tomorrow to get ready.
• The Yankees discussed several options, but Joe Girardi said the decision ultimately came down to either using a six-man rotation or optioning Nova to Triple-A. “I thought he handled it like a man and a professional,” Girardi said. “And I think he’ll go about it the right way.”
• Mark Teixeira said he doesn’t want to participate in the home run derby if he’s not on the all-star team. It wasn’t a snobbish thing, he just feels like an all-star should be in the derby. He said he wasn’t surprised that he missed the cut. “Probably the three best players in baseball play first base in the American League,” he said. He’s hoping Paul Konerko gets on the team.
• Freddy Garcia made that late walk out of the bullpen because the Yankees found out a little before 2 p.m. that the game was going to start at 2:30. Until that point, the Yankees heard it would be a 4 p.m. first pitch. Garcia didn’t have time to go through his usual warmup routine, but Girardi talked to the umpires and basically Garcia was told to take his time and get himself ready.
• Derek Jeter should be just about to start his Double-A rehab game. The plan is still to have him with the team in Cleveland tomorrow.