Joe Girardi asked Curtis Granderson about three specific injuries: His right calf felt fine. So did his left foot. But when Girardi asked about Granderson’s back, Granderson said he’d have to take batting practice before he’d know for sure.
“That kind of gave me a heads up that it’s probably pretty sore,” Girardi said.
The lineup was finalized before batting practice. Girardi was already leaning toward giving Granderson the day off, and his hesitation pretty much sealed the decision.
Would Girardi have chosen Brett Gardner a the leadoff hitter with or without Granderson in the lineup?
“I could have,” Girardi said. “The lineup’s a big topic now, but I kind of had in my mind that Grandy would need a day off so I never really thought about it.”
• Granderson said his back is the most sore part of him right now, but he believes he could play if necessary. He said the left foot — which was hit Tuesday — feels perfectly fine, and the right calf — which was hit yesterday — was actually spared most of the damage. The ball hit more on his shin than his calf, so the muscle didn’t tighten up too much.
• Rafael Soriano has another inning tonight and Eric Chavez will play third base for High-A Tampa. That’s a 7 o’clock game.
• Girardi said Soriano could go back-to-back on Sunday and Monday — it won’t be tonight and tomorrow — which would put him on track to be back with the Yankees as early as Wednesday or Thursday.
• Nothing new on Ivan Nova, but Girardi did confirm that he remains their most likely starter for that July 30 double header. “If he’s fine and we feel he’s ready to go, I think that’s probably what you have to do,” Girardi said.
• Alex Rodriguez got his stitches out today.
• Is there a chance Granderson will be the No. 3 hitter tomorrow. “It just depends on who I play,” Girardi said. “There’s some pieces that I’m going to have to see how guys are doing tomorrow. It’s definitely something I could do. I could hit Grandy third and it’s a possibility, but I’ve got to see who I have tomorrow.”
* Actually, that’s the censored version of Martin’s explanation. He agreed to change the last word when someone explained that his original quote wouldn’t work on television or in the newspaper.
Ben Zobrist DH
Sean Rodriguez 2B
Evan Longoria 3B
B.J. Upton CF
Justin Ruggiano RF
Kelly Shoppach C
Casey Kotchman 1B
Elliot Johnson SS
Sam Fuld LF
Associated Press photos