- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Projected roster, minor honors, the Rays bold choice
Posted By Chad Jennings On September 29, 2011 @ 10:26 pm In Notes | 553 Comments
Based on the bits and pieces that have been revealed about the Yankees division series roster, there’s only so much room to tweak pieces. Jack Curry tweeted a projected roster earlier tonight, and the groups make sense.
Projected position players: Mark Teixeira, Robinson Cano, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Eric Chavez, Eduardo Nunez, Brett Gardner, Curtis Granderson, Nick Swisher, Andruw Jones, Russell Martin, Jorge Posada, Jesus Montero, Chris Dickerson
When Dickerson said he was on the roster, that seemed to nearly wipe out the possibility of carrying Austin Romine. If Montero’s not going to DH, and Martin’s going to catch every game, Romine shouldn’t play much of a role.
Projected pitchers:  CC Sabathia, Ivan Nova, Freddy Garcia, A.J. Burnett, Mariano Rivera, Dave Robertson, Rafael Soriano, Boone Logan, Cory Wade, Luis Ayala and Phil Hughes.
The Tigers have only one impact left-handed hitter, so there’s little need for a second lefty specialist, and with Hughes and Burnett in the bullpen, a long guy like Hector Noesi isn’t especially necessary. Could cut a reliever to carry Romine, but there’s a greater chance of wanting the extra arm than the spare catcher.
• The Detroit Free Press takes a look at the Tigers projected division series roster.  It includes former Yankees minor league catcher Omir Santos, along with more familiar — and more obvious — former Yankees Austin Jackson, Wilson Betemit and Phil Coke.
• On the flip side, the Free Press wrote a little bit about Curtis Granderson playing against his former team. 
• I covered Austin Jackson’s last year in the Yankees system. “I definitely envisioned myself playing center field one day for them,” Jackson said.  “But things happen for a reason. I got the best opportunity I ever got in baseball being traded over the Tigers.”
• Check out the Rays: They’re going with Matt Moore in Game 1 of their division series. They used up their top starters against the Yankees, so they’re going with the kid. Gutsy. Really gutsy.
• Rawlings awarded a series of minor league Gold Glove awards, recognizing one minor league player at each position, choosing from a pool of players at every level. Two Yankees were recognized: Brandon Laird won the minor league Gold Glove at third base, and Austin Krum won the award in left field.
Associated Press photos
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2011/09/29/projected-roster-minor-honors-the-rays-bold-choice/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/01245285e33f1915fa0e6a706700dc2f.jpg
 Projected position players: : http://twitter.com/#!/JackCurryYES/status/119555563209244672
 Projected pitchers:: http://twitter.com/#!/JackCurryYES/status/119553880370593792
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/30a02d34e3161815fa0e6a7067005502.jpg
 the Tigers projected division series roster.: http://www.freep.com/article/20110929/SPORTS02/110929043/Clues-emerge-regarding-Tigers-playoff-roster
 Curtis Granderson playing against his former team. : http://www.freep.com/article/20110929/SPORTS02/110929028/Yankees-Curtis-Granderson-excited-play-Tigers-N-Y-respects-Justin-Verlander
 Jackson said.: http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110929&content_id=25388244&vkey=news_det&c_id=det
 They’re going with Matt Moore in Game 1 of their division series. : http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/content/rookie-matt-moore-start-opener-shields-game-2