Obviously I’ll have more later, but here are a few quick notes from this afternoon’s conference call with general manager Brian Cashman.
• On Alex Rodriguez: “I don’t have any health concerns with Alex. His is a timing issue.”
• On A.J. Burnett: “I would not look at him as a reliever. If he’s with us, without a doubt he’s in the rotation.”
• On the Yankees veteran free agents (Garcia, Colon, Chavez, etc): “I’m not opposed to any of those guys coming back, I just can’t tell you what’s going to happen.”
• On Russell Martin: “We thought he was Thurman Munson-like… We could go a number of different routes there.” Essentially, Cashman spoke glowingly about Martin, and said he wouldn’t rule out bring him back on either a one-year deal or a multi-year deal.
• On Jesus Montero: “I think he can be catching for us or he can obviously be DHing for us or a lethal bat off the bench for us. All of the above.”
• On Yu Darvish: “I think like with anything else, you learn over time… I think we’re more prepared today (to evaluate Japanese talent) than we have been in the past.”
• On Francisco Cervelli: “He is full bore, ready to go as a catcher. There are no issues there.”
• Rafael Soriano will not be opting out this winter, though there was never any sort of official announcement from Soriano or his representation.
• Cashman said there’s no one currently on the Major League roster who needs offseason surgery.