- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Happy birthday Mo, plus a few links and notes
Posted By Chad Jennings On November 29, 2011 @ 9:32 pm In Misc | 497 Comments
After your 21st birthday, it’s really the round numbers that people seem to care about. They make a big deal out of turning 30 — to be honest, it was my 31st that made me feel significantly older — and you’re “over the hill” at 40. I remember my father having a big birthday party when he turned 50, and I’m pretty sure my mother will still deny that her 60th ever happened.
But turning 42? That birthday seems significant for only one man.
Mariano Rivera, No. 42 himself, turned 42 today. The game’s greatest closer is in the second year of a two-year deal, and there is already talk that next season might be his last. My guess is Mo will keep throwing those cutters as long as they’re effective.
Happy birthday Mo, and here are a few notes and links from another quiet Tuesday.
• A quick note on an earlier item from today: When Curtis Granderson opened that playground in the Bronx on Monday, for every home run he hit, the American Dairy Association & Dairy Council agreed to donate $100 to PS19X for school nutrition programs. Curtis actually hit seven, but the ADADC donated a total of $1,500 in honor of his visit.
• The Red Sox have their new manager, and it’s Bobby Valentine. 
• Former Yankees reliever Brian Bruney has signed a minor league deal  with the White Sox.
• Jon Heyman reports that C.J. Wilson has asked the Angels for a $100-million deal,  which could be a lower-then-usual figure for the opportunity to play in California.
Associated Press photo of Rivera
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2011/11/29/happy-birthday-mo-plus-a-few-links-and-notes/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Rivera8.jpg
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/IMG-280.jpg
 and it’s Bobby Valentine. : http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/11/all_signs_point.html
 Brian Bruney has signed a minor league deal: http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/8243/bruney-gets-minor-league-deal-from-white-sox
 C.J. Wilson has asked the Angels for a $100-million deal,: http://twitter.com/#!/SI_JonHeyman/status/141634137688772608