Just a few notes and links as we move closer to the holiday weekend.
• Brian Cashman has already said that teams have approached him about trading for almost everyone on the roster, and today Ken Rosenthal brought some specifics. Rosenthal wrote that the Indians inquired about Nick Swisher, but it’s hard to see such a trade going anywhere.
• Given the fact they weren’t remotely in the mix for Yu Darvish and seem to be avoiding massive financial commitments, it should come as no surprise that our friend Marc Carig tweeted today that the Yankees chances of getting Yoenis Cespedes are “slim and none.”
• The Red Sox have their new pitching coach, having hired Bob McClure for the job.
• Looks like another big name is off the market with Carlos Beltran agreeing to a two-year deal with the Cardinals. Seems like he’ll slide into right field while Lance Berkman replaces Albert Pujols at first. The significance for the Yankees is that Boston, Toronto and Tampa Bay were all mentioned as possible destinations for Beltran.
• Remember Mitch Hilligoss? Probably not. He was traded for Greg Golson a few years ago, and he’s since been released by the Rangers.
• A back-of-the-rotation innings eater came off the market with Jason Marquis signing a one-year deal with the Twins. … A reserve corner infielder also came off the market with Mark DeRosa signing with the Nationals.
Associated Press photo