Is another starting pitcher on the move? Is another massive prospect package about to change hands?
The late rumor tonight has the Tigers and Cubs talking about a deal that would send Matt Garza for Detroit in exchange for a group of young players that could include top pitching prospect Jacob Turner.
David Kaplan of CSNChicago is reporting that talks have progressed “far beyond the initial stages.”
As with all of the other starting pitcher moves this winter, the Yankees involvement seems to have hinged on the prospects required to make a move. So far they’ve balked at meeting the high asking prices.
A few other notes from this Hall of Fame Monday…
• Craig Calcaterra takes a look at the results of those players who didn’t gain election into the Hall of Fame this afternoon. Bernie Williams got enough votes to stay on the ballot, but not nearly enough to suggest he’ll ultimately be elected.
• Our own Rick Carpiniello wrote about his Hall of Fame ballot and his decision to vote for only one player: Don Mattingly.
• More good stuff on the pending retirement of Jorge Posada comes from three of the very best in New York. Tyler Kepner and Jack Curry and Mark Feinsand each wrote about the life and career of Posada. As always, those are must-read pieces.
• Speaking of Posada, over at The Hardball Times, Chris Jaffe takes a look at Posada’s career highlights and milestones. It’s an extensive list.
• Sports Business Journal writes that Major League Baseball is beginning to discuss how to schedule and televise an additional round of playoffs this year.
Associated Press photo