- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Yankees make Hughes deal official, plus some notes and links
Posted By Chad Jennings On January 16, 2012 @ 9:27 pm In Misc | 318 Comments
After Phil Hughes’ agent tweeted his deal, the Yankees made it official with a press release. The release made it clear that Hughes has a non-guaranteed deal, which is pretty standard for arbitration-eligible players.
The Associated Press has the details of Hughes’ performance bonuses. According to the AP:
Hughes can make an additional $225,000 in performance bonuses under the deal: $50,000 for 20 starts, and $25,000 each for 23, 26, 29, 30, 31, 32 and 33 starts.
Just a few other notes from today…
• With their designated hitter role open, the Yankees have reportedly talked to Hideki Matsui.  He could be worth a shot as a low-cost option, but Matsui wasn’t especially good last season.
• Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Red Sox would like to upgrade their rotation and have stayed in contact with Roy Oswalt. According to Rob Bradford, though, the Red Sox would have to dump some salary to sign Oswalt. 
• The Red Sox did sign another veteran pitcher on Monday, finally agreeing to terms with Vicente Padilla. Although Padilla has been a starter and a reliever, he’s expected to compete for a rotation spot.
• Former Yankees lefty Phil Coke avoided arbitration with the Tigers  and agreed to a $1.1-million deal. Meanwhile, former Yankees catching prospect Dioner Navarro signed a minor league deal with the Reds. 
Associated Press photo
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/01/16/yankees-make-hughes-deal-official-plus-some-notes-and-links/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Hughes42.jpg
 the Yankees have reportedly talked to Hideki Matsui.: https://twitter.com/#!/JonHeymanCBS/status/159038583938875392
 the Red Sox would like to upgrade their rotation : http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/red-sox-need-to-face-reality-fix-rotation-011512
 would have to dump some salary to sign Oswalt. : http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2012/01/16/source-red-sox-would-have-to-move-payroll-in-order-to-sign-roy-oswalt/
 finally agreeing to terms with Vicente Padilla. : http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/red_sox/index.php/2012/01/16/red-sox-sign-vicente-padilla-to-minor-league-deal/
 Phil Coke avoided arbitration with the Tigers: http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120116&content_id=26359732&vkey=news_det&c_id=det
 Dioner Navarro signed a minor league deal with the Reds. : https://twitter.com/#!/Reds/statuses/159010030425874432