Still nothing official from the Yankees, but it’s hardly a surprise that their deal with Raul Ibanez is done. Wouldn’t be a surprise to see an official announcement later today.
Of course, Ibanez isn’t here just yet. There’s still an empty locker in the back of the spring training clubhouse where I assume Ibanez will eventually have a jersey.
Today is the first official workout for pitchers and catchers, and 13 guys will be throwing bullpens later this morning. Mariano Rivera is here. I can echo some previous statements that Phil Hughes seems to be in good shape, Michael Pineda is a huge guy and Francisco Cervelli is as friendly as ever.
A few minor notes from this morning…
• David Adams and Justin Maxwell have already settled into the clubhouse. They’re both coming off injuries, so they’ve reported for early batting practice. Didn’t have a chance to talk to Adams this morning, but Maxwell said he’s been in Tampa since mid-January and feels fully recovered from a torn labrum suffered while slamming into the wall in Indianapolis last season. He’s a toolsy outfielder with some power and speed, and he’s trying to win a spot on the big league bench.
• A former elite prospect coming back from a series of hand issues, Adam Miller is an interesting off-the-radar guy in the spring clubhouse. After essentially missing three seasons through a series of setbacks — no elbow or shoulder surgeries, just his hand –Miller got back on the field last season and said he started showing more velocity and command in his last few outings. He said he feels strong, just really wants to get some innings and get the feel back. He’s obviously a longshot to make the team out of camp, but he’s a good guy to keep an eye on. If he’s healthy, there’s a lot of talent in that arm.
• Cervelli said his concussion symptoms were completely gone by mid-November. He’s been in Tampa for about a week and said he feels good. As for taking Jorge Posada’s locker, Cervelli just laughed and said he’ll have to give Posada a call to let him know. “It’s an honor,” Cervelli said.
• Yesterday there was an empty locker between Alex Rodriguez and Robinson Cano. Today that locker was stocked and assigned to Zoilo Almonte. Not bad company for a guy just added to the 40-man.
• A guy who I assume was Clay Rapada was moving into a locker this morning. He’s been assigned No. 39.
• Today’s bullpens:
Phil Hughes (to Jose Gil)
Ivan Nova (to Austin Romine)
Michael Pineda (to Russell Martin)
Dave Robertson (to Gustavo Molina)
CC Sabathia (to Francisco Cervelli)
Freddy Garcia (to J.R. Murphy)
Hiroki Kuroda (to Cervelli)
Boone Logan (to Kyle Higashioka)
Cory Wade (to Gary Sanchez)
Manny Banuelos (to Martin)
Dellin Betances (to Higashioka)
Cesar Cabral (to Molina)
D.J. Mitchell (to Gil)
• Today’s hitting groups:
David Adams and Justin Maxwell
Francisco Cervelli, Russell Martin, Gustavo Molina, Austin Romine
Jose Gil, Kyle Higashioka, J.R. Murphy, Gary Sanchez