He hasn’t been added to the roster, and he’s not even officially signed, but Eric Chavez was in the Yankees clubhouse this morning, planning to go through his physical and whatever else needs to happen before his signing is complete.
“Officially, I’m nothing,” he said.
Unofficially, he’s back, having signed with the Yankees after seriously considering retirement. As recently as two weeks ago, Chavez wasn’t sure he would sign. He was hitting with Kevin Long, but still not positive a deal would get done. What made him decide to play another season? He said it was the interest from a team that he knew and liked that sparked a desire to do it again.
“If there was no interest at all, in my mind, I was probably going to shut it down,” Chavez said. “It became too appealing for me not to come back.”
• Chavez took the same locker he had last spring, along the back wall right next to Nick Swisher. Raul Ibanez has also been assigned a locker. He’s at the front of the clubhouse, over in the corner, using Bernie Williams’ old locker.
• George Kontos said his sore oblique is growing less sore by the day. It no longer hurts when he coughs and he has full range of motion. He said the Yankees medical staff has told him he’s recovering nicely, and he’s hoping it’s only another day or two before he’s able to start throwing again.
• More live batting practice today. David Phelps got it started on the main field. Brett Marshall, Adam Warren, Dan Burawa and Chase Whitley also faced hitters today. Cesar Cabral and Graham Stoneburner are scheduled for early BP tomorrow. If you’re curious, Gustavo Molina, Austin Romine, Gary Sanchez and J.R. Murphy did the early morning catching.
• Today’s temporary call-ups to serve as the batting practice hitters: Addison Maruszak, Kevin Mahoney, Garrison Lassiter and Jeff Farnham.
• Today’s bullpen groups:
Juan Cedeno (to Gustavo Molina)
Manny Delcarmen (to Francisco Cervelli)
Mike O’Connor (to Jose Gil)
Clay Rapada (to Russell Martin)
Adam Miller (to Austin Romine)
Ryan Pope (to Gary Sanchez)
Kevin Whelan (to Kyle Higashioka)
• Same batting practice groups as usual:
Group 1: David Adams, Justin Maxwell, Andruw Jones
Group 2: Francisco Cervelli, Russell Martin, Austin Romine, Gustavo Molina
Group 3: Jose Gil, Gary Sanchez, Kyle Higashioka, J.R. Murphy