The day position players report to spring training seems like it would be full of activity. The truth is, there’s more buzz than real action.
Players come and go in the clubhouse, and there’s a lot of activity, but not much actually happens. A few guys took swings in the cage, and some players were looking for someone to play catch on the field, but otherwise this has been the lightest day since camp opened.
No bullpens. Only a few catchers taking regular batting practice. Two guys threw live BP this morning.
Really, this day is more about getting everyone into camp. Tomorrow is when the real action begins.
• As I finished writing this, Graham Stoneburner finished throwing live batting practice on the main field. What looked like the entire Yankees coaching staff stood watching. Cesar Cabral also threw live BP today.
• Because I know you’re curious: Ray Kruml and Carmen Angelini were the minor leaguers brought up to hit in BP.
• No bullpens were scheduled for today. Aside from Stoneburner and Cabral, this was basically a day off for the pitching staff. Guys played catch and worked out, but that’s it. Short, easy day.
• Ivan Nova is on the schedule to throw live batting practice tomorrow. He’ll be the first of the big league starters to face hitters. Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, David Phelps, D.J. Mitchell and Kevin Whelan are also scheduled to throw BP.
• Only two hitting groups — all catchers – were scheduled to take regular batting practice today. As expected, Austin Romine has the day off.
Group 1: Jose Gil, Kyle Higashioka, Gary Sanchez, J.R. Murphy
Group 2: Gustavo Molina, Francisco Cervelli, Russell Martin