Mark Teixeira tweeted about his MVP performance at today’s team outing.
I can’t imagine the scene, but Teixeira doing anything involving Michael Jackson had to be hilarious. This was Bill Hall’s take on the event: “Best team get together ever!” Except he used all caps.
• A lot of talk about the luxury tax today. Covering the Phillies, Matt Gelb did a nice job breaking down payroll and the luxury tax. It’s not specifically written about the Yankees, but it’s a good read about the way all of this money stuff works.
• Jon Heyman reports that Teixeira has chosen Casey Close to be his agent. Teixeira used to be with Scott Boras. Close represents Derek Jeter.
• Tom Singer has some of the details of A.J. Burnett’s upcoming surgery. Apparently there’s a chance the surgery won’t keep Burnett out as long as originally expected.
• The Cardinals signed Yadier Molina to a five-year extension today. Why does that matter to the Yankees? Because they have to decide what to do with Russell Martin after this season, and Molina could have affected the free agent market and helps set the market for long-term deals with catchers.
• MLB Network sent an email today saying their broadcasts of the Yankees games on Saturday and Monday will be available live in the New York market. Both games start at 1 p.m. Here’s the MLB Network spring training broadcast schedule.
Associated Press photo