Robinson Cano was back in the clubhouse this morning after missing a few days to attend his great grandmother’s funeral. She was 91 years old and had cancer.
“We were waiting for it,” Cano said. “They took her to the hospital on Friday, and on Saturday they said, just wait, she’s got no chance.”
Cano always called her by her nickname, Lelen, and although she was technically his great grandmother, she raised Cano’s father. She understood what it meant to be a baseball player, and although she never came to the United States to see Cano play, she watched him on television.
“Two days before I came here I went to see her,” Cano said. “She was like, ‘I’m on my way.’ I was like, ‘No, you need to cheer for me.’ She goes, ‘Oh, I’m too tired to cheer for you. You’re good.’”
• Players are already stretching in the outfield, getting ready for today’s quick workout. Players are supposed to be off the field in about an hour so they can shower for today’s team bonding event.
• Tomorrow is the first exhibition game against South Florida. Adam Warren has the start, but Dave Robertson and Rafael Soriano will be the first Yankees on the mound. They’re each throwing early batting practice tomorrow. The Yankees have a 10:35 a.m. stretch for a pregame workout.
• George Kontos is scheduled to throw tomorrow. It will be his first time since injuring his oblique during a bullpen last week.
• Reggie Jackson has arrived. Among the highlights of the morning was watching Reggie introduce himself to Hiroki Kuroda.
• Today’s early batting practice pitchers:
Field 1 (Chris Dickerson and Doug Bernier hitting)
Hiroki Kuroda (to Russell Martin)
Freddy Garcia (to Gary Sanchez)
Michael Pineda (to Gary Sanchez)
Clay Rapada (to Jeff Farnham)
Field 2 (Colin Curtis and Brandon Laird hitting)
CC Sabathia (to Gustavo Molina)
Phil Hughes (to Jose Gil)
Boone Logan (to J.R. Murphy)
Cory Wade (to Ryan Baker)
• Ivan Nova and D.J. Mitchell are throwing bullpens today. It will be Nova’s final tuneup before starting Saturday’s Grapefruit League opener.
• Looks like there are no specific fielding drills scheduled for today. I’m sure players will still take groundballs and flyballs during batting practice, but there does not seem to be a specific series of fielding drills planned.
• Today’s batting practice groups:
Robinson Cano, Derek Jeter, Brandon Laird, Eduardo Nunez
Eric Chavez, Ramiro Pena, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira
David Adams, Bill Hall, Jayson Nix, Jorge Vazquez
Doug Bernier, Corban Joseph, Russell Martin, Gustavo Molina
Brett Gardner, Curtis Granderson, Raul Ibanez, Andruw Jones, Nick Swisher
Chris Dickerson, Justin Maxwell, Cole Garner, Dewayne Wise
Zoilo Almonte, Colin Curtis, Melky Mesa
Francisco Cervelli, Jose Gil, Gary Sanchez, J.R. Murphy
Associated Press photo