Felt like just another day in the Yankees clubhouse this morning. Playing South Florida doesn’t necessarily get everyone worked into a frenzy.
We already knew Robinson Cano wouldn’t be playing today, but keeping him out of the lineup keeps us from getting a first look at Joe Girardi’s projected middle of the order. I have to think he’s planning to us Cano, Rodriguez, Teixeira — in that order — but it would have been nice to see it.
A mild surprise: Raul Ibanez batting ahead of Nick Swisher. The Yankees could flip those two without having two lefties or two righties back-to-back, but based strictly on the lineup posted today, it looks like Ibanez is going to bat ahead of Swisher.
• George Kontos played catch today and gave the session a thumbs up. He’s been saying for several days that his sore oblique felt 100 percent, so I don’t think he was too worried about today’s next step.
• Ivan Nova gets the start in tomorrow’s Grapefruit League opener, but that day will actually start with Phil Hughes throwing a sim game in Tampa. He’ll pitch to Gustavo Molina, facing Colin Curtis and Francisco Cervelli.
• CC Sabathia and Michael Pineda are throwing sides tomorrow.
• Today’s second string: C Jose Gil, 1B Brandon Laird, 2B David Adams, SS Doug Berner, 3B Ramiro Pena, LF Zoilo Almonte, CF Melky Mesa, RF Colin Curtis, DH Jorge Vazquez.
• Today’s available pitchers: Adam Warren, Brett Marshall, Dan Burawa, Graham Stoneburner, Ryan Pope, Kevin Whelan, Juan Cedeno, Mike O’Connor, Chase Whitley and Adam Miller. Looks like only the first six or seven are actually expected to pitch.
• Tomorrow’s travel squad:
Pitchers: Ivan Nova, Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, Cesar Cabral, Juan Cedeno, D.J. Mitchell, Mike O’Connor, David Phelps, Clay Rapada and Chase Whitley
Catchers: Jose Gil, Russell Martin, J.R. Murphy and Gary Sanchez
Infielders: David Adams, Doug Bernier, Eric Chavez, Bill Hall, Corban Joseph, Brandon Laird, Jayson Nix, Eduardo Nunez, Ramiro Pena and Jorge Vazquez
Outfielders: Zoilo Almonte, Chris Dickerson, Brett Gardner, Cole Garner, Curtis Granderson, Raul Ibanez, Justin Maxwell, Melky Mesa, Nick Swisher and Dewayne Wise
Associated Press photo