Yogi Berra arrived in Yankees camp this morning. He’s here every spring, and he always inspires the same reaction. The players are happy to see him. The coaches are happy to see him. In this camp, spring training’s just not official until he gets down here.
As you can tell from the lineup, the Yankees have started playing some guys two days in a row, starting with Derek Jeter and Robinson Cano. Tomorrow, Brett Gardner and Raul Ibanez are scheduled to make the trip to Dunedin, so it looks like they’ll be the next to play back-to-back.
Some other notes from a quiet morning in Tampa…
• The Yankees have started spreading out their minor league starters to give everyone enough innings. You might remember that Manny Banuelos and Dellin Betances were on the same schedule earlier this spring, now they’re separated by a day. Betances will pitch tomorrow. Banuelos is scheduled to pitch Friday.
• Looks like Cole Garner’s hamstring is feeling better. He’s back in the mix as the second string DH. Eduardo Nunez is scheduled to take batting practice and field grounders, but he won’t play today. He’s scheduled to make the trip tomorrow.
• Yesterday it was Ramiro Pena getting some time in left field. Today it’s Brandon Laird. The Yankees talk a lot about four-corner utility players, and Laird would be a perfect guy for that role if he can get his bat going like it was in Double-A just two years ago.
• Today’s sides: Brad Meyers, Michael Pineda, Manny Banuelos and Rafael Soriano. Today’s sim game goes to Adam Miller pitching to Corban Joseph and Melky Mesa.
• Tomorrow’s sides: Graham Stoneburner, Brett Marshall, Phil Hughes and CC Sabathia.
• Today’s available pitchers: Hiroki Kuroda, Cory Wade, Boone Logan, Adam Warren, Clay Rapada, Kevin Whelan, David Phelps, Cesar Cabral, Juan Cedeno, Ryan Pope and Dan Burawa. As usual, only the first six or seven will actually get in the game.
• Today’s second string: C Jose Gil, 1B Jorge Vazquez, 2B Bill Hall, SS Jayson Nix, 3B Corban Joseph, LF Brandon Laird, CF Dewayne Wise, RF Colin Curtis, DH Cole Garner
• Traveling to Dunedin tomorrow:
Pitchers: Delin Betances, Dan Burawa, Cesar Cabral, Juan Cedeno, Adam Miller, Ivan Nova, Michael O’Connor, David Phelps, Ryan Pope, Dave Robertson and Chase Whitley
Catchers: Francisco Cervelli, Jose Gil, Kyle Higashioka, J.R. Murphy and Gary Sanchez
Infielders: David Adams, Doug Bernier, Bill Hall, Corban Joseph, Brandon Laird, Eduardo Nunez, Ramiro Pena, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira and Jorge Vazquez
Outfielders: Zoilo Almonte, Colin Curtis, Chris Dickerson, Brett Gardner, Cole Garner, Raul Ibanez, Justin Maxwell and Melky Mesa
UPDATE, 10:04 p.m.: Former Yankees Jose Molina, Juan Miranda and Romulo Sanchez are each making the trip for the Rays.
Reid Brignac SS
B.J. Upton CF
Ben Zobrist 2B
Matt Joyce RF
Jeff Keppinger 1B
Stephen Vogt Dh
Jose Molina C
Jesus Feliciano LF
Elliot Johnson 3B
RHP James Shields