- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Pregame notes: Robertson optimistic while awaiting results
Posted By Chad Jennings On March 9, 2012 @ 9:53 am In Notes | 410 Comments
Joe Girardi said yesterday that there was a “cause for concern” in yesterday’s MRI on Dave Robertson’s injured foot. This morning, Robertson himself painted a much more optimistic picture.
“The first MRI, they said there wasn’t really anything really wrong,” Robertson said. “Just had some questionable things and they just wanted to make sure. They said it looked fine, but let’s just go ahead and check it out again and make sure nothing’s wrong.”
Robertson went back to the hospital for a second round of tests, and he’s still awaiting those results. Today he shuffled into the clubhouse wearing a walking boot and using crutches. The crutches seemed more for stability than anything. He wasn’t putting all of his weight on them, just sort of using them to carry a little bit of his weight as he walked fairly close to normal (as close as he could in a protective boot).
Optimism aside, Girardi sounded legitimately concerned yesterday. At this point, it’s hard to know what to expect while the Yankees wait for a foot specialist to give his diagnosis.
“After hearing that they didn’t see anything in the first round, I’m feeling better today,” Robertsons aid. “I’m hoping it’s something that’s going to pass in a week or so and I’ll be right back out there.”
• Robertson on having to address the injury: “It’s embarrassing. I don’t even want to have to come and talk to you guys about it. I’d rather be like, I tripped over a chair in the clubhouse or something than tell you I fell down the stairs at my house. And not like a full flight of stairs, just one stair.”
• Truth be told, Robertson’s injury wasn’t nearly the most unusual in baseball yesterday. David Price hurt himself while toweling off between innings,  and Robertson was happy to hear he wasn’t the only one talking about an awkward injury. “Yes,” Robertson said, giving a little fist pump. “That’s good news right there. That’s the best news I’ve heard.”*
• For whatever reason, Eduardo Nunez isn’t listed for batting practice today. I didn’t see Nunez in the clubhouse and didn’t have a chance to ask Joe Girardi about it before the clubhouse closed for a team meeting. Could be that he’s just going to take BP inside rather than out on the field with everyone else, but it seemed unusual considering he was making progress from that hand injury.
• Brad Meyers, George Kontos, Adam Warren, Joba Chamberlain, Cory Wade, Boone Logan, Clay Rapada and Hiroki Kuroda all have sides today. Dellin Betances, David Phelps and Ivan Nova are throwing sides tomorrow.
• J.R. Murphy is planning to get the vast majority of his time at catcher this season, but today he’s working out at third base during fielding drills. The Yankees like his bat and have given him a look at the four corners, adding some versatility to the young catcher. For whatever it’s worth, Brett Gardner will take fly balls in center field today. He said he hadn’t taken any balls in center field this spring before starting there yesterday, but center field always feels more natural for him anyway.
• Today’s available pitchers: Freddy Garcia, Rafael Soriano, Manny Banuelos, D.J. Mitchell, Juan Cedeno, Chase Whitley, Ryan Pope, Kevin Whelan, Dan Burawa, Adam Miller, Michael O’Connor and Cesar Cabral
• Today’s second string: C Gustavo Molina, 1B Jose Gil, 2B Corban Joseph, SS Doug Bernier, 3B Ramiro Pena, LF Cole Garner, CF Dewayne Wise, RF Colin Curtis, DH Zoilo Almonte
• Making the trip to Orlando tomorrow…
Pitchers: Dan Burawa, Cesar Cabral, Juan Cedeno, Brett Marshall, Michael O’Connor, Michael Pineda, Ryan Pope, Graham Stoneburner, Kevin Whelan, Chase Whitley
Catchers: Francisco Cervelli, Jose Gil, Kyle Higashioka, J.R. Murphy, Gary Sanchez
Infielders: David Adams, Doug Bernier, Bill Hall, Corban Joseph, Brandon Laird, Jayson Nix, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira, Jorge Vazquez
Outfielders: Zoilo Almonte, Colin Curtis, Brett Gardner, Raul Ibanez, Andruw Jones, Justin Maxwell, Melky Mesa, Dewayne Wise
* Before any Rays fans get offended, Robertson was clearly kidding and talking strictly about being hurt in an embarrasing way. He quickly said something about not really wanting anyone else to be hurt, he just liked the idea that he wasn’t the only one talking about an unusual injury.
UPDATE, 10:07 a.m.: The Braves have both RHP Buddy Carlye and OF Jordan Parraz on this trip. Those two played in the Yankees system last year, with Carlyle getting a little bit of big league team.
Michael Bourn CF
Tyler Pastornicky SS
Matt Diaz RF
Freddie Freeman 1B
David Ross C
Christian Bethancourt DH
Drew Sutton 2B
Brandon Hicks 3B
Jose Costanza LF
RHP Julio Teheran
Associated Press photo
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/03/09/pregame-notes-robertson-optimistic-while-awaiting-results/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Image: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/5d2b4985da675806090f6a706700d49b.jpg
 David Price hurt himself while toweling off between innings,: http://www2.tbo.com/sports/rays/2012/mar/08/2/price-hurts-neck-rays-fall-to-tigers-ar-367128/