Gotta hustle out the door to Orlando…
Joe Girardi said he talked to his pitchers just the other day to tell them — once again that — they need to use these first few starts to work on their pitches and not worry about making an impression. Girardi said he’ll start the evaluation process around the fourth or fifth start for each pitcher, not the second or third.
For today’s starter, Michael Pineda, that message means working on the changeup. Girardi said he wouldn’t mind seeing as many as 10 or 12 changeups from Pineda today.
“I’m going to reiterate it to my pitching and my catcher,” Girardi said.
• Girardi didnt have a specific rehab schedule for Dave Robertson but said he might start to play catch from a chair to keep his arm strength. Robertson said he’s hoping to avoid playing catch from a chair — he thinks it will be awkward — but he’s going to do some upper-body and core workouts today. “I can get some work done,” he said. He doesn’t expect to start baseball activities until the boot comes off on Monday.
• Dewayne Wise has been scratched from todays trip because he has a sore hamstring. Its not expected to take more than a few days.
• Other rehab updates:
Austin Romine is still not going through full drills, but hes getting closer. Were happy with the progress hes making, Girardi said.
Manny Delcarmen has started playing catch.
George Kontos has throw a bullpen and is back on a regular spring schedule.
Russell Branyan is still shutdown with a sore back.
• Dellin Betances, David Phelps and Ivan Nova are throwing sides today. Manny Banuelos, D.J. Mitchell and Freddy Garcia will throw sides tomorrow.
• Todays available pitchers: Michael Pineda, Cesar Cabral, Michael OConnor, Dan Burawa, Ryan Pope, Juan Cedeno, Graham Stoneburner, Brett Marshall, Chase Whitley
• Todays second string: C Gary Sanchez, 1B Jose Gil, 2B David Adams, SS Jayson Nix, 3B Brandon Laird, LF Zoilo Almonte, CF Melky Mesa, RF Colin Curtis, DH Kyle Higashioka
• Tomorrows travel squad to Fort Myers:
Pitchers: Cesar Cabral, Juan Cedeno, Phil Hughes, Brett Marshall, Adam Miller, Ryan Pope, Graham Stoneburner and Adam Warren
Catchers: Francisco Cervelli, Kyle Higashioka, JR Murphy, Gary Sanchez
Infielders: Corban Joseph, Brandon Laird, Jayson Nix, Ramiro Pena, Jorge Vazquez
Outfielders: Zoilo Almonte, Brett Gardner, Curtis Granderson, Raul Ibanez, Melky Mesa, Nick Swisher
• I mentioned this the other day, but its worth repeating. The Braves sent word that there are several events going on at the Wide World of Sports complex — where the Braves spring training stadium is located — so travelers should allow an extra 30-60 minutes of travel time because of increased traffic. And its Disney, so traffic wasnt going to be great to begin with.
Michael Bourn CF
Martin Prado LF
Brian McCann DH
Dan Uggla 2B
Chipper Jones 3B
Freddie Freeman 1B
Tyler Pasternicky SS
J.C. Boscan C
Jose Constanza RF