Obviously things will get a little more lively later on, but for now, it’s a pretty quiet day at George M. Steinbrenner Field. The Yankees have a team meeting going on right now, and there really wasn’t much buzz in the hour leading up to it. The fact the Red Sox are coming to town was a secondary concern at best. Really feels like just another day around here.
• Dave Robertson showed up in the clubhouse wearing tennis shoes and didn’t seem to be favoring his right foot. He’s only been out of the walking boot for a day, but he seems to be moving around without any real difficulty.
• As you might expect, Dellin Betances said he was happy with last night’s two-inning appearance. He agrees with Joe Girardi’s assessment that he’s gotten better outing after outing, and Betances said the cause is a combination of mental and physical. He’s been more aggressive lately and he’s done a better job keeping his delivery straight toward home plate, each of which has helped with first-pitch strikes. That’s huge for a guy with Betances’ stuff. Once he’s ahead, he’s awfully dangerous.
• Raul Ibanez is starting at designated hitter today, but he’s scheduled to take fly balls in left field during batting practice. No matter how much time he spends at DH, he’s going to get plenty of outfield reps during fielding practice this year.
• Today’s pregame work: Graham Stoneburner, Kevin Whelan, Adam Warren, Michael Pineda, Phil Hughes and CC Sabathia are throwing sides. Sabathia wasn’t listed yesterday, but it makes more sense to have him on the same day as Hughes again. Still not sure why Pineda is throwing his on the same day as those two.
• George Kontos is facing hitters today. Should be his last step before getting in a game.
• Tomorrow’s sides: Matt Daley, Dellin Betances, Hiroki Kuroda, Rafael Soriano and Joba Chamberlain.
• Today’s available pitchers: Ivan Nova, Mariano Rivera, David Phelps, Boone Logan, Clay Rapada, Cory Wade, Cesar Cabral, Adam Miller, Ryan Pope and Chase Whitley.
• Today’s second string: C Gustavo Molina, 1B Jorge Vazquez, 2B David Adams, SS Ramiro Pena, 3B Doug Bernier, LF Justin Maxwell, CF Melky Mesa, RF Zoilo Almonte, DH Chris Dickerson
• Tomorrow’s travelers to Dunedin:
Pitchers: Manny Banuelos, Cesar Cabral, Juan Cedeno, Freddy Garcia, Adam Miller, D.J. Mitchell, Mike O’Connor, Ryan Pope, Kevin Whelan, Chase Whitley
Catchers: Francisco Cervelli, Kyle Higashioka, J.R. Murphy, Gary Sanchez
Infielders: David Adams, Doug Bernier, Robinson Cano, Eric Chavez, Derek Jeter, Corban Joseph, Brandon Laird, Jayson Nix, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira, Jorge Vazquez
Outfielders: Zoilo Almonte, Colin Curtis, Cole Garner, Curtis Granderson, Raul Ibanez, Melky Mesa, Nick Swisher, Dewayne Wise
Associated Press photo