Joe Girardi said not to read too much into the fact Raul Ibanez is batting ahead of Nick Swisher today. In fact, he said there was no real rhyme or reason to the way those two were stacked in the lineup.
“Nothing really,” Girardi said, when asked what went into the decision. “Will it be like that in the year? I’m not saying that.”
It does seem to be an indication that Girardi’s leaning toward Ibanez sixth and Swisher seventh, but he could easy flip them and still avoid having back-to-back lefties or back-to-back righties. Whatever the order against right-handed starters, Girardi said he still expects Ibanez to get regular at-bats on days the Yankees face a lefty. He envisions using Ibanez frequently as a pinch hitter once a right-handed reliever is in the game.
“Even if he doesn’t start ina game, there’s a good chance he’s going to get in,” Girardi said.
• Michael Pineda has adjusted his between-starts schedule so that he throws a bullpen two days — not three days — before his starts. That’s why he threw a bullpen yesterday on the same day as CC Sabathia and Phil Hughes. Pineda said that’s the schedule he used with Seattle and he’s more comfortable with it.
• Joba Chamberlain didn’t throw any breaking balls today, but he’ll throw 10 sliders off the mound in his next bullpen on Friday.
• Today’s sides: Chamberlain, Matt Daley, Dellin Betances, Hiroki Kuroda and Rafael Soriano.
• George Kontos said yesterday that he was expecting to get in a game on Friday. Instead, he’s now scheduled to throw another round of batting practice tomorrow, suggesting his first game appearance might not come until Saturday or Sunday.
• David Phelps, Ivan Nova and Boone Logan have sides tomorrow.
• Today’s available pitchers: Freddy Garcia, Manny Banuelos, Cory Wade, D.J. Mitchell, Adam Miller, Ryan Pope, Chase Whitley, Juan Cedeno, Cesar Cabral and Mike O’Connor
• Todays second string: C Gary Sanchez, 1B Brandon Laird, 2B Corban Joseph, SS Doug Bernier, 3B Jayson Nix, LF Colin Curtis, CF Dewayne Wise, RF Cole Garner, DH Kyle Higashioka
• I believe teams are supposed to bring at least four regulars to every road game in spring training. The Yankees are kind of pushing that for tomorrows trip to Viera.
Pitchers: Cesar Cabral, Juan Cedeno, Brett Marshall, Mike OConnor, Michael Pineda, Clay Rapada, Graham Stoneburner, Adam Warren, Kevin Whelan
Catchers: Jose Gil, Kyle Higashioka, Russell Martin, J.R. Murphy, Gary Sanchez
Infielders: David Adams, Doug Bernier, Bill Hall, Corban Joseph, Brandon Laird, Jayson Nix, Ramiro Pena, Jorge Vazquez
Outfielders: Zoilo Almonte, Colin Curtis, Chris Dickerson, Brett Gardner, Cole Garner, Andruw Jones, Justin Maxwell, Melky Mesa, Dewayne Wise