Freddy Garcia has his right hand heavily wrapped and admits that it still hurts “a little bit,” but he’s also hopeful that he won’t miss more than a few days of pitching.
“Bad bruise, that’s all,” he said.
After being hit by a one-hopper in yesterday’s game against the Blue Jays, Garcia’s had began to swell immediately and he was taken for x-rays that showed no broken bones. Garcia hasn’t really been able to test the hand and said he hasn’t been given any sort of timetable for when he’ll be able to pitch again.
That said, he seem optimistic. The injury seems less serious than even he initially believed, but it might still be too early to say exactly how long Garcia will be out.
“I just have to wait,” he said.
A few other real quick notes before I get on the road…
• Talked to D.J. Mitchell a little bit this morning. Yesterday he used a new cutter for the first time in a game. He had tinkered with it in bullpen sessions late last season and likes it because the movement is the opposite of his two-seamer. It’s clearly a fourth pitch for him behind his fastball, changeup and curveball.
• Speaking of working on pitches . . . Boone Logan threw a bullpen today and focuses strictly on fastballs and changeups. He said he’s been using a few more changeups this spring and would like to carry that into the season. He’s always had a changeup, but he usually leans heavily on his fastball and slider.
• George Kontos thors his second batting practice today. David Phelps and Ivan Nova are also scheduled to throw sides.
• Mitchell and Manny Banuelos have sides tomorrow. Garcia is listed as throwing a side tomorrow, but I doubt that’s actually going to happen.
• Today’s available pitchers: Michael Pineda, Brett Marshall, Juan Cedeno, Clay Rapada, Mike O’Connor, Cesar Cabral, Adam Warren and Graham Stoneburner.
• Today’s second string: C J.R. Murphy, 1B Jose Gil, 2B David Adams, SS Doug Bernier, 3B Brandon Laird, LF Justin Maxwell, CF Melky Mesa, RF Zoilo Almonte, DH Gary Sanchez