Dave Robertson threw a pain-free, 25-pitch bullpen today. He said he wasn’t thinking about his foot at all, just pitched the way he normally would and felt good after.
“I expect to be back in a game this time next week,” Robertson said.
He’s scheduled to throw another bullpen on Tuesday, after which he’ll either throw live batting practice or jump straight into a game. A batting practice session seems more likely, but that’s not set in stone. Regardless, it looks like Robertson is on track to get in a handful of games before Opening Day. No one expects this injury to keep him from being available for the opener.
• Derek Jeter went through no baseball activities today, and he wont do any tomorrow. Strictly treatment on his sore calf, but hes still expecting to play on Tuesday. Girardi said that if Jeter doesnt play Tuesday, he wont play until Friday. The Wednesday and Thursday games are on the road, and Jeter won’t make those trips.
• Plan is also to have Nick Swisher and Russell Martin return to the lineup on Tuesday. Girardi said the lineup probably wont be posted until after batting practice that day.
• Ivan Nova is scheduled for five innings or 75 pitches tonight in Sarasota.
• The Red Sox have announced that Aaron Cook will start against the Yankees on Thursday. The Yankees are starting David Phelps that day.
• Theres a chance that Freddy Garcia will start one of the split-squad games on Friday. That might push Nova’s next start to Saturday.
• George Kontos is scheduled to pitch in a game for the first time this spring. He’s expected to get an inning tonight.
• Todays sides: Robertson, Manny Delcarmen, Phil Hughes and Michael Pineda
• Kyle Higashioka, Kevin Russo, Ronnier Mustelier, Mason Williams and Dan Brewer are up from minor league camp. Only Williams and Russo are supposed to play.
• Girardi on Williams: “I want to see him play. With what he did last year, you kind of throw the kid a bone. … Ive heard just wonderful things about him.”
• Available pitchers: Ivan Nova, David Phelps, George Kontos, D.J. Mitchell, Clay Rapada, Juan Cedeno, Cesar Cabral, Mike OConnor, Adam Warren
• Second string: C Jose Gil, 1B Jorge Vazquez, 2B Kevin Russo, SS Doug Bernier, 3B Brandon Laird, LF Colin Curtis, CF Mason Williams, RF Chris Dickerson, DH Cole Garner
Associated Press photos