Andy Pettitte said he feels some normal soreness in his lower half today, but nothing out of the ordinary. He went through fielding drills yesterday, and he feels the need to keep doing that regularly to get himself into playing shape. He’s been throwing bullpens for several weeks, but yesterday was the first time he did anything like field ground balls or cover first base.
“I asked how he was doing today,” Joe Girardi said. “But that’s a normal conversation I would have with anybody.”
Both Pettitte and Girardi said it’s vital that the Yankees stick to their schedule with Pettitte. Even if his body is feeling better than expected, the Yankees have to keep themselves from pushing him too much. Pettitte said he feels the need to be honest with himself and the team. If he needs an extra day, he’ll take it.
Pettitte and Girardi each believe it’s realistic that Pettitte might get into a game before the Yankees break camp.
• David Phelps was scratched from today’s start because his wife is having a baby. Girardi said that’s an acceptable excuse. “I think it’s legit,” he said. “I think that one will fly.” Phelps is listed as making tomorrow’s road trip to Clearwater, but that might not actually happen.
• Derek Jeter remains on schedule to play at home on Friday, but he still has to get through a full set of drills today.
• Nick Swisher told Girardi that he feels “pretty decent” this afternoon. Girardi said he’ll check with the training staff before deciding whether Swisher can play this weekend or should wait until next week.
• Freddy Garcia threw a side today. Girardi said he expects Garcia to throw 50-65 pitches in Saturday’s start against the Tigers. Garcia will have missed just one start after being hit by that comebacker.
• Eduardo Nunez got today off strictly because he’s played a lot of games in a row and will definitely play tomorrow. The Yankees didn’t want him playing four days straight, so today he gets to rest. His hand is fine.
• Dante Bichette Jr. will be up from the minor league complex to play in tomorrow’s game in Clearwater. Mason Williams will return from the minor league complex to play in the game in Tampa.
• Today’s sides: Garcia and Brad Meyers. Kevin Whelan is throwing a sim game today.
• Joba Chamberlain, Michael Pineda and Phil Hughes are throwing bullpens tomorrow. Dave Robertson and Manny Delcarmen are pitching a sim game and Pettitte has his batting practice session.
• Big group of players up from minor league camp today. Most are listed below but C Mitch Abeita, INF Jose Toussen and OF Austin Krum are also up as reserves.
• Today’s available pitchers: Adam Warren, Cory Wade, Dellin Betances, Juan Cedeno, D.J. Mitchell, George Kontos, Mike OConnor, Philip Wetherell, Pat Venditte, Craig Heyer, Aaron Dott, Zach Varce
• Today’s second string: C Gustavo Molina, 1B Addison Maruszak, 2B Kevin Russo, SS Carmen Angelini, 3B Jorge Vazquez, LF Colin Curtis, CF Justin Maxwell, RF Cole Garner
• Tomorrow’s travelers for split-squad in Clearwater:
Pitchers: Hiroki Kuroda, Mike OConnor
Catchers: Francisco Cervelli, Jose Gil
Infielders: Doug Bernier, Robinson Cano, Eric Chavez
Outfielders: Colin Curtis, Chris Dickerson, Brett Gardner, Cole Garner, Dewayne Wise
• Up from minor league camp for tomorrow’s game in Clearwater;
Pitchers: George Kontos, David Phelps, Ryan Pope, Ryan Flannery, Vidal Nuno, Mariel Ceco
Catcher: Jeff Farnham
Infielders: Brandon Laird, Addison Maruszak, Jose Pirela, Dante Bichette, Kelvin Castro
Outfielder: Abe Almonte
Associated Press photos