Joba Chamberlain could be released from the hospital as early as today, and while much of the focus has been on the worst-case scenario for his dislocated ankle, it seems we now have an idea of the best-case scenario. Yesterday Chamberlain told Brian Cashman that he’s hoping to be on a mound by July.
“That’s what he told me the doctors were telling him,” Cashman said.
That wouldn’t be a big league mound, but it seems the most optimistic situation is that Chamberlain could be throwing bullpens by the middle of the season. In theory, that means this season is not completely ruled out. But all of this is theoretical at this point. There’s not nearly enough information to know how quickly or how completely Chamberlain will heal. For now, the risk of infection is a signficant concern, but if the doctors are willing to let him out of the hospital, that would be a good sign.
“If he gets out today or tomorroow, that would be extremely positive,” Cashman said.
• Dave Robertson is scheduled to pitch in Sunday’s game. It will be only his second appearance of the spring, and his first since bruising his right foot.
• The upcoming rotation:
Sunday: Michael Pineda
Monday: Phil Hughes (minor league complex)
Tuesday: CC Sabathia
Wednesday: Hiroki Kuroda
Thursday: Ivan Nova (minor league complex, likely Freddy Garcia in big leagues)
• Girardi said he doesn’t feel any need to make a rotation decision before the third or fourth of April. “You’re not forced to,” he said. To him, it doesn’t matter how the guys lineup after Sabathia, and Sabathia is already lined up for Opening Day.
• Garcia is expected to go 60-65 pitches today. “You worry about a little rust and (lack of) location,” Girardi said. “His hand looks pretty good, but we’re not going to really know until he gets out there.”
• Despite the fact D.J. Mitchell, David Phelps, George Kontos and Brandon Laird have been optioned to Triple-A for several days now, they have yet to report to the minor league complex. They’re still physically in big league camp, they’ve just techincally been optioned down.
• Sabathia threw a side today. Betances, Nova, Kuroda, Adam Warren and Andy Pettitte are throwing sides tomorrow. Brad Meyers has a batting practice tomorrow.
• Up from the minor league complex today: Preston Claiborne, Sean Black, Brandon Braboy, Addison Maruszak, Jose Pirela, Austin Krum and Rob Segedin.
• Today’s available pitchers: Freddy Garcia, D.J. Mitchell, Boone Logan, Cesar Cabral, Juan Cedeno, Mike O’Connor, Kevin Whelan, George Kontos, Preston Claiborne, Sean Black, Brandon Braboy.
• Today’s second string: C Jose Gil, 1B Brandon Laird, 2B Jayson Nix, SS Bill Hall, 3B Addison Maruszak, LF Dewayne Wise, CF Austin Krum, RF none, DH Justin Maxwell
UPDATE, 12:07 p.m.: Here’s the Tiger’s lineup.
Austin Jackson CF
Brennan Boesch RF
Don Kelly 3B
Prince Fielder 1B
Delmon Young LF
Alex Avila C
Ryan Raburn DH
Jhonny Peralta SS
Brandon Inge 2B
Associated Press photo