I’ll try to make this quick because the schedule is kind of goofy today and the game starts in less than an hour…
The Yankees have until 5 p.m. tomorrow to set their roster. Joe Girardi is still not willing to commit officially to Clay Rapada making the team, but he seems like a heavy favorite for the sixth spot in the bullpen. The seventh spot comes down to Adam Warren, D.J. Mitchell and David Phelps, with Mitchell and Phelps seeming to be the front runners. Both are here today, and both are scheduled to pitch.
Long shots a month ago now seem like tossups for the long-man spot.
“This is what I was hoping to do,” Mitchell said. “Obviously I was trying to make the team.”
Brian Cashman said he’ll continue to monitor the trade market and the waiver wire the next couple of day just in case something pops up that could fit this roster, but for now the choice seems to come down to picking a minor league starter to give multiple innings out of the bullpen. I’d expect some sort of announcement tomorrow.
• Cashman said he has not gotten any calls on outfielder Justin Maxwell. Despite a great spring, it seems that the Yankees have no spot on the roster for Maxwell, who’s out of option. Is Cashman surprised teams aren’t calling about him? “I don’t know what other people’s needs are out there,” he said.
• The Yankees will have both Rule 5 picks on the disabled list when the season begins. Cesar Cabral is obviously going on the DL with his elbow injury, but Brad Meyers will also go on the DL because of his shoulder. Cashman said he’s not allowed to return a Rule 5 pick or put a player on waivers unless he can guarantee that player is healthy and ready to play. He can’t do that with his Rule 5 picks, so they’ll go on the DL.
• Cashman said he expects Cabral to pitch again this season.
• Dewayne Wise and Jayson Nix have outs in their contracts, but only if another team is willing to give them a spot on the 25-man roster. If not team gaurantees them a spot, they will remain Yankees and open the season in Triple-A. Bill Hall apparently has no out in his contract. Cashman said he’s going to Triple-A.
• No problems with Nick Swisher or Curtis Granderson. They’ve been the DH the past two days strictly to give them a little bit of a break after playing several days in a row.
• The Yankees hope to meet with Michael Pineda tomorrow to discuss his injury and a plan going forward. Cashman described it as a short-term injury.
• There’s still a chance Andy Pettitte will pitch an inning out of the bullpen in tomorrow’s big league game. Girardi said he has to discuss it with Larry Rothschild before settling on a decision. If not tomorrow, Pettitte will pitch Thursday in a minor league game.
• Girardi expects to start his regulars in tomorrow’s spring finale. He said they’ll play four or five innings.
• Today’s available pitchers: Ivan Nova, David Phelps, D.J. Mitchell, George Kontos, Brandon Pinder, Mark Montgomery, Juan Cedeno, Pat Venditte.
• Today’s second string: C J.R. Murphy, 1B Kyle Roller, 2B Kelvin Castro, SS Ramiro Pena, 3B Zach Wilson, LF Chris Dickerson, CF Abe Almonte, RF Justin Maxwell
Associated Press photo