The Yankees have not yet announced their Opening Day roster, but the decision has a new wrinkle. This morning, Mark Feinsand reported that Boone Logan is being sent to a doctor to check on some sort of back problem. There are no real details just yet, and Joe Girardi hasn’t addressed the media, so obviously the situation is a little uncertain.
As for the players who were in the clubhouse this morning, here’s all I know:
Adam Warren was told this morning that he’s going to Triple-A, D.J. Mitchell’s locker was already cleared out when the media arrived and David Phelps was called in to Girardi’s office just a few minutes before the clubhouse closed to media. He walked out with no expression on his face, just grabbed his phone out of his locker and walked away. My guess is that he’s made the team, but that’s strictly a guess.
Clay Rapada was packing bags and looked very much like he’s going to New York, but that hasn’t been made official and still something of an educated guess. George Kontos still hasn’t heard anything, and I can’t help wondering whether his status might depend on Logan.
• Just a programming alert: Today’s game starts at noon, not 1.
• Hiroki Kuroda, Phil Hughes and Rafael Soriano threw sides today.
• Looks like the Yankees basically have the High-A Tampa roster in camp to serve as backups. Most of the minor league guys have already left Tampa for their affiliates. The only (assumed) minor league position players I saw in camp this morning were Jayson Nix, Bill Hall and Justin Maxwell. Lockers were cleared out for Dewayne Wise and Doug Bernier.
• Today’s available pitchers: Freddy Garcia, Mariano Rivera, Andy Pettitte, Cory Wade, Boone Logan, Clay Rapada and Dave Robertson. Those are the guys listed. Obviously Rivera won’t actually pitch after throwing a sim game yesterday, and obviously Logan is out with the back issue.
• Today’s second string: C Francisco Cervelli, 1B Eric Chavez, 2B Bill Hall, SS Jayson Nix, 3B Eduardo Nunez, LF Andruw Jones, CF Justin Maxwell, RF none
• Minor league pitchers available: LHP Rigoberto Arrebato, LHP Vidal Nuno, RHP Brandon Braboy and RHP John Brebbia
• The Mets are going with their regulars on the day before their season opener:
Andres Torres DH
Daniel Murphy 2B
David Wright 3B
Ike Davis 1B
Jason Bay LF
Lucas Duda RF
Scott Hairston CF
Josh Thole C
Ruben Tejada SS
RHP Dillon Gee
Associated Press photo