For about 20 seconds this morning, it seemed that the Yankees might be for sale. Then every Yankees employee with a cell phone or an email address began denying the story. Adamantly. Even the league issued a statement saying it had no knowledge of the Yankees being on the block.
Who knows? Maybe Hal Steinbrenner would privately entertain the idea, but he certainly wasted no time shooting down the idea today.
On an otherwise quiet off day, at least it gave folks something to talk about for a while.
• Be sure to read Jorge Arangure’s story about the signing, development and arrival of Ivan Nova. It’s really great stuff about a part of the game not often seen or considered. “I told my trainer that at the first opportunity, I wanted to sign with the Yankees,” Nova told Arangure. “He would tell me that (we) could possibly get more money elsewhere. I told him I didn’t care. I wanted to sign with the Yankees.”
• I honestly can’t tell whether anyone except the government really cares about the Roger Clemens trial. I think it generates buzz when someone like Andy Pettittte or Brian Cashman testifies, but ultimately the interest seems pretty low. The latest involves testimony from David Segui, who seemed to support Brian McNamee’s claim that he kept evidence of Clemens’ steroid use.
• Apparently Dellin Betances has a cracked fingernail, which might account for some of his recent control problems. Still no word on what accounts for all the previous control problems (the fact he’s about 10-feet tall might account for some of it; hard to keep those mechanics consistent).
• Despite the Yankees sluggist start to the season, the Oakland A’s say they’re not taking anything for granted heading into this weekend series. “Even if they’re not playing well, certainly their lineup gets your attention,” manager Bob Melvin said.
• Brandon Inge had been pretty productive since joining the Athletics earlier this month, but the A’s won’t have him this weekend. Inge is out with a groin injury and can’t return until Monday at the earliest. The A’s are also without Yoenis Cespedes, who’s on the DL with a hand injury.
• Former Yankees prospect Austin Jackson has been placed on the disabled list in Detroit. … Former Yankees utility man Cody Ransom has been claimed off waivers by the Brewers. … Looks like Austin Romine’s brother might be with the Angels when the Yankees get to Anaheim next week.
Associated Press photo